LPM: hlp with h2ph :) sorry

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Sat Apr 1 20:21:00 CST 2000

Matt Cashner wrote:
> or you can use perl to do the same sorts of thinks without calling stuff
> from the shell :)

A good point. It's almost never necessary, and almost always
undesirable, to call a function from the shell. There is usually a way
to do this from withing Perl, and that way is almost always faster and
more secure. Passing stuff to the shell is a good way to have someone
pass a little bit of rm -rf through our script and to the shell.

It might also be interesting and entertaining to look at the Perl Power
Tools, which is a project to rewrite all the standard Unix utilities
(ls, rm, traceroute, and so on) in Perl. This is largely for the benefit
of non-Unix folks, but is mostly for its entertainment value. ("Hey, if
I can't get a date, at least I can rewrite Emacs in Perl!")

Rich
--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/
Lexington Perl Mongers - http://lexington.pm.org/