LPM: October meeting

Joe Hourcle oneiros at dcr.net
Wed Sep 15 19:51:58 CDT 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, David Hempy wrote:

> Hmmm... let's try that again...
>
> At 07:37 PM 9/14/1999 -0400, you wrote:
> >(blah...I just wish the <CODE> directive in HTML would actually do
> >something useful, more than just being the same as <TT> was. Hell, even
> ><PRE> is more useful, as it doesn't compact whitespace.)
>
> What's wrong with PRE?  Seems like displaying code (and similar) is what
> PRE is all about.

<PRE> does quite a bit, but it still parses the contents for HTML tags,
which means that < > & may confuse it.  For the most part, > and & by
themselves are okay, but < is definately right out, as it'll then chomp
everything up to the next >.

& can be problematic, depending on what immediately follows it.

-----
Joe Hourcle
Digital Crescent, Inc.