LPM: Mini-conferences

Tom Scanlan tom at squarefish.com
Fri Jun 11 09:04:07 CDT 1999

> 1) Would you attend?

I'd love to, assuming there are no work conflicts.

> 2) What topics would you like to see covered by speakers?

Inter-Process Communication, perl DBI/DBD stuff, writing modules,
writing efficient perl code... to name a few.

> 3) Would you be a speaker, and what will you talk about?

To a small group, no problem.  I'm not steady enough with perl yet to
take on large groups.  I could manage a talk about libwwwperl,
possibly.  Talking about the basics should be doable as well.

> 4) What BOF sessions would you be interested in hosting? (BOF == Birds
> Of a Feather - people with similar concerns and interests discussing a
> topic or topics)

By hosting, do you mean $$$, or providing a place to meet?  This first
might be possible, although not much $$$.  And the latter: I don't have
enough space for many people, but a group of 5 might fit in the office.

> 5) Do you have a large conference room and AV equipment that you would
> be willing donate for an afternoon, or a whole day?

I repeat: I _might_ be able to really _squeeze_ 5 people into the back
office :)

> 6) Do you have a potential audience that would be interested in coming
> to an almost-free Perl conference for a half a day?

A small chunk of UK CS dept might be interested.

> 7) Do you think that this is a good idea at all.

Yup.   I don't know how saturated with perl heathens Lexington is, but
what could it hurt to try once or twice?

Sorry I haven't made it to any more lunches.  I'm on a bike these days,
and getting out for lunch just doesn't happen when I'm at the office.
I'll keep trying for the next one though.

                                    o  o
Tom Scanlan                      /\/                tom at squarefish.com
4750 Hartland Pkwy. Suite 210,   \/\    squareFish Media Services, Inc.
Lexington, KY. 40515   Phone:[606.245.9656]    web design. web hosting.