LPM: Mini-conferences

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Wed Jun 9 15:48:36 CDT 1999

Just a quick, non-scientific poll. It was suggested at the meeting that
one cool thing that we could do to attract new members, and have cool
meetings, would be to have mini-conferences. We could have several
speakers, on several topics, and have workshops, BOF-type round-table
discussions, and quiz shows like Jon Orwant's - get him to send us
sample questions or something like that. We could fund such a venture by
asking for donations from participants, and we could advertise it at the
US computer science department, local businesses, etc.

So, here's the questions.

1) Would you attend?
2) What topics would you like to see covered by speakers?
3) Would you be a speaker, and what will you talk about?
4) What BOF sessions would you be interested in hosting? (BOF == Birds
Of a Feather - people with similar concerns and interests discussing a
topic or topics)
5) Do you have a large conference room and AV equipment that you would
be willing donate for an afternoon, or a whole day?
6) Do you have a potential audience that would be interested in coming
to an almost-free Perl conference for a half a day?
7) Do you think that this is a good idea at all.

If you'd prefer to email me directly, that's fine. I'll be keeping score
in some fashion or other.

Rich
--
You can surrender without a prayer,
but never really pray without surrender.