LPM: Meeting topics

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Thu Jul 15 14:37:11 CDT 1999

casillo wrote:

> I'd like a discussion on DBI. I think anyone could benefit from a discussion on
> using Perl to connect to databases, and the DBI module makes this a wonderful
> thing. I think beginners and gurus alike would gain, and maybe we could make the
> discussion two parts. The beginner side could be how to get, install, and use the
> module; the guru side could be something like building an example database-driven
> web site with DBI and Perl.

I'd be willing to do the beginner side of that. I should be willing to
do the "guru" side of it, since that's what I spend a lot of my time
doing, but I'm not sure that I'd have sufficient time in the next month
to do it well.

> Since Nat Torkington was at the last meeting, perhaps some of the morsels in the
> Perl Cookbook deserve discussion. I'm sure there are several clever snippets of
> Perl code among us for tasks like updating files in place, handling logs, or
> taking over the world to name a few.

The Cookbook is a fantastic resource, but it is difficult to find stuff
in it that related to what you are doing at that particular moment. It's
really good to read in a one-a-day fashion. It might be cool to just
have a talk where someone goes over 4 or 5 of the recipes that they had
read (and understood). Kinda like MJD's "Hardware Store" talks.

Rich
--
It seems to me as we make our own few circles 'round the sun
We get it backwards and our seven years go by like one