LPM: Next month's meeting

Janine Ladick janine.ladick at fetterprinting.com
Thu Jul 15 08:04:00 CDT 1999

95% of what I do involves reading in text databases, parsing each
record into fields, manipulating the data somehow, then writing the
fields back out into a different file structure.  I write a lot of
subroutines but none of them are too complex.  I'd be happy to speak
about any of this, should it be useful or interesting to the group.

> It is my impression ( and if I am wrong, I apologize ) that none of us
> really do not feel anywhere near ready to do guru level teaching though.
> What if we were to reserve the second section for either "I did this
> really neat thing in perl and I have just got to brag it up to somebody"
> sessions or maybe a general "Bring a problem/question" sessions where we can
> help each other?

Good idea!

Um, do regular expressions count as a beginner topic or an advanced
topic?  I promise to pay real good attention to a talk on regular
expressions.

> I would like to try the second option, but we would need at least a few people
> willing to cover a potential short fall.  I would suggest covert volunteers -
> it may not be too good an idea for people to know exactly who may be footing
> the bill :)  To speak up early, I would appreciate if at least one of those
> pizzas didn't have any meat on it.

I agree - with both passing the hat and meatless pizza.

Janine