LPM: Next month's meeting

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Wed Jul 14 19:39:41 CDT 1999

> > Have the two sessions (intro and guru) separated by dinner.  From 6:00 to
> > 6:45 is the beginner stuff (which I'm eager to hear), from 6:45 to 7:30 is
> > dinner (which I'm eager to eat), and from 7:30 to 8:15 is the guru stuff
> > (which I'm eager to hear).

I like this idea also. I'd be willing to take on some of the beginner
stuff, since I'm already teaching a Perl class, and so already have some
notes.

> Has anyone volunteered to speak or suggested a topic yet?  HInt,
> hint, hint.

It would be useful to hear from the beginners what areas they might like
to hear about. Then, those of us that are willing to speak can pick a
topic that folks are interested in.

There were several topics that I suggested for last month's meeting.
Those topics were: Modules (finding, installing, using, and writing
them.), CGI (Subtitle: Why I don't 'use CGI.pm'), NT System
administration with Perl (Subtitle: Making NT usable) or Stupid Perl
Tricks (Schwartzian transforms, Orcish stuff, memoizing, and other cool
toys). I already did the NT one, and would be wiling to do one of the
others, but would prefer if someone else took August, since I have about
a zillion things going on between now and August 9th.

I think that, based on the input so far, and on the votes tallied so
far, we'll be meeting on the evening of August 9th. Although the Horse
Park does sound appealing, it adds considerably to the drive for some of
us, and it would seem that KET is a little more conveniently located for
more people. Just my $0.02, which can be shouted down, if you like.
We've got a few weeks to decide. I'd like to get some posters on campus
this time, though, especially if we are going to meet that near campus.

On another topic, if we order pizza, how much should we charge each
person? Would $4 or $5 cover it?

Rich
--
It seems to me as we make our own few circles 'round the sun
We get it backwards and our seven years go by like one