LPM: MakeMaker and version numbers

Frank Price fprice at mis.net
Wed Dec 15 17:57:43 CST 1999

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Rich Bowen wrote:

#> On Monday, someone asked what the limitations were on the version
#> numbers used when setting $VERSION in a module. I was tinkering with
#> that this morning, and observed the following. When I set $VERSION to

Here's what I was trying vainly to remember at the meeting.  The
perlmodlib documentation says this:

	To be fully compatible with the Exporter and
	MakeMaker modules you should store your module's
	version number in a non-my package variable called
	$VERSION.  This should be a floating point number
	with at least two digits after the decimal (i.e.,
	hundredths, e.g, $VERSION = "0.01").  Don't use a
	"1.3.2" style version.  See Exporter.pm in
	Perl5.001m or later for details.

Although your $VERSION='string' is neat, my guess is that other things
will break.  For instance, 'use Mymod 1.3' might not be predictable if
you used a string in the module :-)

-Frank.