LPM: Changing drives in Windows?

llang at baywestpaper.com llang at baywestpaper.com
Wed Dec 15 15:05:47 CST 1999

I tend to stick with absolute file references for just about everything.
Use one or more variables to store the path and you only have to change
it/them in one place if the file in question ever needs to relocate.  This
doesn't answer your original question, but it does circumvent it.

Loren Lang               Phone:    606-734-0538 x326
Network Administrator         Fax: 606-734-8210
Bay West Paper Corporation    email:     llang at baywestpaper.com

"There is no greater burden than great potential." - Charles Schultz

                    David Hempy
                    <hempy at ket.org>             To:     lexington-pm-list at happyfunball.pm.org
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    owner-lexington-pm-l        Subject:     LPM: Changing drives in Windows?
                    ist at pm.org

                    12/15/99 03:10 PM
                    Please respond to
                    lexington-pm-list

Okay, surely this is a no-brainer, but I'm stumped.  Let's say I run a perl
program while in C:\.  It needs to access some files on different drives.
I tried:

           chdir "D:\db";

This did not change the program's cd to D:.  I assume it acts like cd from
the command line, which changes D:'s cd, but leaves you on C: . (or where
ever you are.)

No mention of it did I find in _Learning Perl on Win32 Systems_ nor on
Active State's installed perl docs.  `PPM search Win32` yielded nothing
useful.  Experiments like:

           `d:`;

proved fruitless.  I suspect if this line did work, it was only during the
shell and reverted back when the program resumed.

I guess I could give absolute references to all my file accesses, but
that's a drag.

Any suggestions?
-dave

--