LPM: Changing drives in Windows?

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Wed Dec 15 14:10:07 CST 1999

Okay, surely this is a no-brainer, but I'm stumped.  Let's say I run a perl
program while in C:\.  It needs to access some files on different drives.
I tried:

	chdir "D:\db";

This did not change the program's cd to D:.  I assume it acts like cd from
the command line, which changes D:'s cd, but leaves you on C: . (or where
ever you are.)

No mention of it did I find in _Learning Perl on Win32 Systems_ nor on
Active State's installed perl docs.  `PPM search Win32` yielded nothing
useful.  Experiments like:

	`d:`;

proved fruitless.  I suspect if this line did work, it was only during the
shell and reverted back when the program resumed.

I guess I could give absolute references to all my file accesses, but
that's a drag.

Any suggestions?
-dave

--