LPM: Perl one-liners

Rich Bowen rbowen at rcbowen.com
Mon Dec 6 14:06:29 CST 1999

Hi, fellow Mongers. I'm in need of some small assistance.

I opened my big mouth, and suggested that it would be nice if there was
a place on CPAN where one could find Perl one-liners (not just JAPHs,
but actual useful stuff) and explanations thereof. Well, to make a long
story short, as often happens in the Perl community, a suggestion like
that was swiftly converted in to volunteering, and I'm the new
proprieter of the official Perl One-liner Repository.

I was hoping that the Lexington Perl Mongers might be able to contribute
something to this effort in some small ways.

1) Clever Acronym: Yes, everything in Perl needs a clever acronym. I
thought of POLAR (Perl One Liner ARchive), or CPOLE (Comprehensive Perl
One Liner ... um ... not sure what the E stands for).

2) Collecting good examples, and documenting them. Yes, I know, you
probably have about as much free time as I do. What I am looking for is
one-liners that are edifying and genuinely useful. Like "perl -MCPAN -e
shell" and "perl -pi.bak -e 's/\r$//' dos_file" for example - things
that do things that average users actually need to do. As well as more
esoteric things like Abigail's sigs (she's given blanket permission to
use any of her sigs) and Randal's JAPHs.

3) Organizing and formatting. This needs to be reasonably laid out, and
might need to get put into mysql so that it can be displayed in a
variety of formats as needed.

Any other suggestions are welcome. The current URL for this is
http://history.perl.org/oneliners and it will eventually be at
http://oneliners.perl.org/ Elaine Ashton did not think that it belonged
on CPAN, so, at least for now, it will be on Elaine's box. (This is the
same machine that hosts our web site, I think.)

Rich
--
http://www.ApacheUnleashed.com/
Lexington Perl Mongers - http://lexington.pm.org/