LPM: LPM meetings.

David Hempy hempy at ket.org
Tue Aug 10 12:01:37 CDT 1999

I enjoyed the meeting quite a bit last night, both for its educational and
social value.  Rich showed how easy it is to install Perl on a Wintel
platform, how to use ppm to install modules straight from the net, and how
DBI is used to connect to different databases.  One of the most encouraging
aspects of the meeting was when Presentation turned into Discussion.  The
group exchanged tips and traps, with everyone walking away more informed.

I felt kind of bad that we let Rich depart without a proper show of
appreciation for organizing the meeting and presenting both talks.  Thank
you, Rich, for all your hard work.  I, for one, have learned a lot from
your experience.

I hope others will follow in his steps and volunteer to lead a discussion.
I only regret that I am a severely amateur perl programmer, or I would
volunteer myself.

We got a heads-up for the Perl Conference in a few weeks.  Rich will be
attending, and offered to buy extra hats, shirts, etc. for anyone
interested.  Also, the Dayton Computerfest is August 28-29 in Dayton.
Bargains are reputed to abound.  Can you say "roadtrip"?  I knew you could.
 See www.computerfest.com for details.

Regarding the location, it will forever be available to the group to use.
It seemed to fill the need quite well... and we *can* get ESPN2 there.
(With advance notice.)

As an aside, Paul Stackhouse of CKCS (Central Ky Computer Society) can
offer their facility for our use also.  They have an LCD projector, seating
for several times our number, whiteboard, and a 128K ISDN line.  They are
located on New Circle Road east, between Winchester and Richmond Roads.

Furthermore, CKCS has a newsletter and other programs that would be fertile
ground for more Perl enthusiasts.  They recently created a Linux user group
within CKCS.  I assume it also meets once a month.  Regardless of their
room, I think we should promote our meetings through CKCS.  I will
facilitate this, if no one objects.

-dave

--
David Hempy