LPM: Roll call ...

Mark Hartley markh at delos.kcr.uky.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:10:10 CDT 1999

> I'd really like to know how people are using Perl in their work. I'd

I am mostly using Perl for some basic network admin tasks (on the
Solaris - Sun platform).  I have written a few fairly simple scripts
that help me to automate some of the routine tasks I do.  Perl is
also used for some web based scripts that we use.  I work at the
Kentucky Cancer Registry, so we have all of the data on cases of
cancer in Kentucky for the last 8 or so years. We use Perl to
generate the web pages that display this data
(http://www.kcr.uky.edu)

> also really like to know the general attitude of management towards Perl
> - whether it is accepted as a 'real' programming language, whether
> people actually know that you are running business-critical processes on
> Perl, stuff like that.

Perl is accepted as a real language in my office.  My supervisor uses
it, as well as C to do his job.  He knows Perl much better than I do.
 He has no problem if I use Perl for whatever I need to do.

> I would like to know a more about how people first "discovered" perl,
> how they developed and enhanced their proficiency, etc.

I first discovered Perl when I had something I wanted to get done at
work.  I asked my supervisor (who is a programmer) for some hints on
how to get done what I wanted.  He handed me his Perl (Camel) book.
As far as becoming proficient in Perl, that hasn't happened for me
yet, mostly due to a lack of time and a lack of a need for Perl
programming in my job.

Mark.
Mark Hartley
Systems Analyst/Programmer
Kentucky Cancer Registry - Markey Cancer Center
markh at delos.kcr.uky.edu
Phone: (606)257-7182   Fax: (606)323-4787