LPM: Re: Roll call ...

John Gibson jgibson at dcr.net
Mon Apr 19 20:36:06 CDT 1999

Hi all I am John Gibson and I enjoy programming with Perl.

>By way of Roll Call, please take a moment or two to answer the
>following, if you will. If, on the other hand, you are a lurker and
>determined to remain so, well, OK then, be that way.
>
>I'd really like to know how people are using Perl in their work. I'd
>also really like to know the general attitude of management towards Perl
>- whether it is accepted as a 'real' programming language, whether
>people actually know that you are running business-critical processes on
>Perl, stuff like that.

I use Perl to support a huge set of Perl tools for source cotrol and build
process
management.  We also use it to automate tools and general Sysadmin type
programs.
As far as my managements attitude toward Perl, He supports any thing that I
can learn or do with Perl.

>I would like to know a more about how people first "discovered" perl,
>how they developed and enhanced their proficiency, etc.

I first cut my teeth at Perl whe I first became a CO-OP that required me to
do some
automization to a testing setup I had.  You know why do something in 10 min.
that would take 6 months to automate. Perl was great for that.  Ever since
then I have aspired to learn as much as I can about Perl and make my life
easier.

Thanks
John Gibson
jgibson at lexmark.com, jgibson at dcr.net
Rules to live by.
1. Never high five a pallbearer.
2. Pigs do fly, given sufficient thrust.