[kw-pm] kw-pm Digest, Vol 111, Issue 1

Nick Dumas nick.dumas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:54:59 PDT 2012

One of the first problems is defining "a page"
Netbooks have 600 px minus a bunch for window decorations.
People with monitors rotated to portrait orientation get upwards of 1900px

Width is even worse, since it won't generally be the size of the
monitor minus a bit, just a random click-drag resize to people's
whims.

On top of that, fonts and even graphics can be scaled up and down
based on the zoom settings of the user's browser too.

If at all possible, relaxed and dynamic is the way to go on the web.
When perldoc.perl.org/ changed to a fixed width layout, I had to go
and monkeypatch it back to dynamic width with some CSS overrides.
Now it looks uglier than it did before the change, but it is once
again useful to me since I can read it on both my netbook (narrow) and
desktop (wide), side-by-side with code I'm working on (even narrower!)
or on a second monitor (extra wide)

 - Nick