[kw-pm] notes on my pre-talk talk: scripting Google Sketchup

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Thu Jul 21 19:23:22 PDT 2011

I got into trying Google Sketchup to play with condo layouts, but it's got
much more capabilities.

http://taffgoch.deviantart.com/art/Nexorade-Abeille-Vault-Wood-207864955?q=gallery%3ATaffGoch&qo=14
http://taffgoch.deviantart.com/art/Geodesic-Ball-Green-Apple-206105338?q=gallery%3ATaffGoch&qo=22
- were designed in sketchup, then imported to a rendering engine.
- apparently lots of renderers will now import/export sketchup data.

Playing with regular solids:
- a video on making an icosahedron in sketchup, step-by-step:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TWRvqVgCEI

A set of digital books on some of the impressive geometric shapes you can
make: http://www.3dvinci.net/GeomeTricksChapterDetails.htm

Yesterday I realized there's a ruby interpreter built in, so I played
with that.

http://regularpolygon.blogspot.com/search/label/Torus
- script for making twisted toroids
- the same site has a script to make Sierpinski Tetrahedra

I wrote a little ruby script that will generate a row of books, to put on
your sketchup shelves. To be added: more realistic spines;  and
adding a bit of randomness to the size of the books.

And in the demo I learned that telling it to produce 2,000 books might not
work very well. :)