[kw-pm] Abstracts for the presentations I plan to give this week on Thursday Nov.19

abez abez at abez.ca
Mon Nov 16 20:52:33 PST 2009

Here are the abstracts for the presentations I plan to give this week on
Thursday Nov.19. What I deliver will be determined by the interests of
those in the audience, so there is some choice about what is show.

**** Mandelbulb (20mins+)

Mandelbulb: Mandelbrot in 3D, an initial implementation and
exploration.

For this talk I will go over the idea of fractals and how one author
has extended the classic Mandelbrot fractal into 3D and produced a
very interesting structure.

I will go over a few implementations of the fractal in multiple
languages. By the end of the talk, the audience should be able to code
up their own Mandelbulb generator or render.

(mildly interactive, implementation driven)

**** Email Extractor (10mins+)

Email Extractor: I will go over an email extractor I wrote with the
great help of Mail::MboxParser, which I use to analyze emails. I will
go over what Mail::MboxParser has to offer, ways to clean up data, and
potential uses for such an extraction.

I will also discuss other modules like Mail::Box and how the modules
differ, why you would use either and how you port some of the missing
functionality over.

(implementation driven)

**** Optional: What's Hot and What's Not: Windowed Developer Topic
Analysis (20mins+)

  This talk will go over the idea of topic analysis which is a
  technique you can apply to datasets consisting mostly of text. This
  work was presented at ICSM 2009 this year in Edmonton.

  What's Hot and What's Not: Windowed Developer Topic Analysis

  As development on a software project progresses, developers shift
  their focus between different topics and tasks many times. Managers
  and newcomer developers often seek ways of understanding what tasks
  have recently been worked on and how much effort has gone into each;
  for example, a manager might wonder what unexpected tasks occupied
  their team's attention during a period when they were supposed to
  have been implementing new features.  Tools such as Latent Dirichlet
  Allocation (LDA) and Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) can be used to
  extract a set of independent topics from a corpus of commit-log
  comments.  Previous work in the area has created a single set of
  topics by analyzing comments from the entire lifetime of the
  project.  In this paper, we propose windowing the topic analysis to
  give a more nuanced view of the system's evolution. By using a
  defined time-window of, for example, one month, we can track which
  topics come and go over time, and which ones recur.  We propose
  visualizations of this model that allows us to explore the evolving
  stream of topics of development occurring over time. We demonstrate
  that windowed topic analysis offers advantages over topic analysis
  applied to a project's lifetime because many topics are quite local.

(slides and colors wowee, interactive in terms of questions or tutorial
aspect only)