[kw-pm] Hacker space starting in K/W region?

Daniel Allen dada.da at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:57:34 PDT 2009

I was pointed at this by Leigh H. of hacklab.to:

http://mghiemstra.com/our-area-needs-a-hackerspace

"The Hackerspaces.org website defines a hackerspaces as:   ...
community-operated physical places, where people can meet and work on
their projects. "

"As far as I know however, there's nothing in our area (for me, "our
area" means Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph, smaller towns
like New Hamburg, Baden, Elmira, and Ayr as well as all the rural
areas inbetween). The closest that I've come across is the Studio 490
in Guelph (who are looking for someone else to work in their studio).

I'm not only envisioning a shared space where geeks and artists alike
would be able to work on their own projects in a shared space (loaded
with tools). I'm also seeing a community where people would teach each
other, experiment, stretch their boundaries, collaborate on great
works of art, and be encouraged to take the results of their work back
out to the communities where they live.

Such a space could attract and bring together people interested in
computers, electronics, woodworking, metalwork, clay, glass, cooking
and crafts of all kinds."

They've got a wiki here as well: http://watspace.pbwiki.com/

I've invited them to our April meeting, since we're already going to
be hacking on Arduinos.
-Daniel