[kw-pm] CPAN and using ppm

Robert Pike roberthpike at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 11:51:18 PDT 2008

Hi All,
   Just starting looking into using ppm and a few modules I've heard about (particularly Date::Calc). Just had a few questions regarding perl and ppm I was hoping someone could give some feedback :
1) right now on a local server there is an installation of Perl (v.5.6) already but I want to install v.5.8 or later. Should I install 5.8 into a separate directory or should I remove v.5.6 and install v.5.8 or later into the current C:/Perl directory?
2) If the suggestion is to create a new directory (what I've done for now) and I use ppm, which area should I choose in the PPM references list? Where are the "Areas" set up? After I installed 5.8 (into C:/Perl5.8) I have 4 entries on the "Areas" screen. Two for C:/(Perl|Perl-5.8)/lib and two for C:/(Perl|Perl-5.8)/lib. The only one I can't seem to select is the C:/Perl/lib entry.
3) I want to use version 5.8 for the CGI apps I have and disregard 5.6 or other versions. In IIS I've changed the path to have Perl-5.8 instead of Perl. Any comments on this are welcome as well.
   I'm using Komodo from Activestate to develop. It used to complain about the use statement for Date::Calc before but now it doesn't but upon bringing up the webpage in the browser I get the following error :
Can't load 'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/Date/Calc/Calc.dll' for module Date::Calc: load_file:The specified module could not be found at C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm
   If (and likely you will) find pieces, chunks, etc.., of info missing feel free to ask me to fill you in further. Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob