[kw-pm] Upcoming talks

fishbot eric at uc.org
Thu Jul 10 09:28:06 PDT 2008

Yeesh, you always make me out to be some sort of mad scientist.

It will be a very basic talk:

- creating threads, locks, shared memory and so on in Perl
- what can be built from the primitives (semaphores, critical
   sections, etc.)  I won't assume any familiarity with these
   concepts.
- what has been build that you can just use from CPAN

And then I've been curious about the potential for building a
simple message passing framework around these resources - that
is, restrict communication and shared memory to a single
abstraction of 'sending a message'.

I'll be talking about some of the issues with both concurrent
programming in general, and Perl's notoriously flabby and fragile
threads.  I'm curious if a message passing abstraction alleviates
some of these issues, or is like training a dog to sing: an
interesting exercise, but your dog won't suddenly smelling like
Avril.

Eric

---- original message : 2008-07-10 11:43am : Daniel R. Allen ----