[kw-pm] November kw.pm Meeting: Opcodes Illustrated

Edgar Bering trizor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 08:50:38 PST 2007

I do hope they'll make an apperance again though there are pending
bits of university business.

I know that I will be there and there is an announcement in the
Computer Science club. I'll pass this information allong to those
interested.

On Nov 15, 2007 4:25 PM, fishbulb <eric at uc.org> wrote:

> Since there were a number of newcomers last month who were
> relatively new (or completely new) to Perl, I'd like to note that
> this talk is not as technical, scary or indepth as the
> description makes it sound.
>
> Despite the words opcode, bytecode, optimizer, and feeding,
> this talk:
>
>   * assumes no knowledge of Perl internals
>   * assumes no C knowledge, and in fact involves no C
>   * requires no particular Perl knowledge, though you should
>     understand basic concepts like conditionals, loops,
>     assignment and so on (in general terms)
>
> Eric
>
> ---- original message : 2007-11-15 10:48am : Daniel R. Allen ----
>

> > Last month had freebie magazines and catalogs from APress.  This month, we
> > have free CF bulbs, courtesy www.porchlight.ca, who has a grant to give
> > one CF bulb to every single Canadian household.  So come for the talk,
> > stay for the pizza and lightbulb.  Or, the other way around if you prefer.
> >
> > -Daniel
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Daniel R. Allen wrote:
> >

> > > Just a quick reminder that the November meeting is this Thursday.
> > >
> > > Thursday, November 15, 2007, 7pm
> > >
> > > Opcodes Illustrated
> > >
> > > fishbot has been playing around feeding opcode trees into GraphViz to
> > > reveal how various language constructs get compiled to bytecode. Compiled
> > > Perl turns out to be pretty interesting, once you can see it in living
> > > colour. Possibly talk will go as far of as the peephole optimizer, but at
> > > the very least, will demonstrate the bytecode behind key language
> > > features.
> > >
> > > Meeting is in BMH 1035 at the University of Waterloo, directions
> > > are here:
> > >
> > > http://kw.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?FAQ
> > >
> > > Also as usual, our pizza is sponsored by $anonymous++.  Please RSVP
> > > here by 5pm on Thursday:
> > >
> > > http://kw.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?PizzaList
> > >
> > > As always, meeting is open to all interested.  As always, we will
> > > retire for beer and conversation at a local establishment
> > > afterwards.

And if I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain.
And if I go insane, will you still let me join in the game?