[kw-pm] Excel and Win32::OLE

Robert Pike roberthpike at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 11:19:09 PST 2006

Hi All,
   Just wondering if someone could answer this one. I
have a perl/cgi application that utilizes the
Win32::OLE module. I was having problems with
permissions for some users logging in using Windows
Authentication (on our customer's site), didn't
realize I had to set permissions accordingly on the
DCOM service running. I also had the problem whereby
once finished using the Excel object (retrieved it by
using the GetActiveObject method from Win32::OLE) I
couldn't close the process down on our server using
just Quit(). Someone referred me to the Uninitialize
method and said to call it preferably in the END
block. I tried that and it worked... here. Once put on
the customer's site the Excel.exe processes are still
hanging around. Can someone suggest how to get rid of
them? Are there permissions at work here as well?
Thanks in advance.

Rob