[kw-pm] test fish crossword test

fishbot eric at uc.org
Thu Aug 10 10:33:51 PDT 2006

---- original message : 2006-08-10 11:02am : Carr, Dave ----

>> Be worth trying, though, I think.  Do you have a grid and a
>> wordlist that we can experiment with?
>
> Wow put me on the spot. Hmmmm... Most real 15X15 puzzle grids contain at
> least four or five long answers that are made up of more than one word,
> the theme answers. If we only allowed single word fills, the longest
> words would have to be 7 or 8 letters long, in other words I might have
> to cook up a grid rather then just steal one or maybe it would be better
> to just cut to the real problem and use a real puzzle with the theme
> answers prefilled? To start with the word list could just be a spell or
> dict list with the words under 3 and over 8 removed, oh and no hyphens
> etc. couldn't it?

I would suggest real puzzle, but just insert the theme answers
into the candidate list.  The selection algorithm should place
these first, and there is likely only a single configuration
anyway.

If we can keep the candidate list down to about 5k words that
would give us a pared-down problem to start with.

Eric