[kw-pm] auto-deps for perl 'usr lib' directives in makefiles?

Eric - fishbot eric at uc.org
Wed Mar 30 10:40:13 PST 2005

> is there a way (as with C include files) to have perl programs have
> auto-dependencies that are processed by makefiles?
>
>   example:
>
> 	use lib (..., ..., ...) ;
> 	use module1 ;
> 	use module2 ;
> 	use module3 ;
>
> obviously, this program might be dependent on changes in those libs,
> and, while one can hardcode those .pm files into the makefile before
> this program is run, is there a better way to do it?
>
> (i'm *really* tired this morning so i'm almost certainly barely
> coherent.)

Okay, I'll bite:  You are running a perl application and
handling dependencies from makefiles?  Or creating a
makefile to install a bundle of modules?  I am really not
clear on what your layout here is.

Explain a little about how the system is structured, so that
we can understand the problem?  Particularly the phrase
"this program might be dependent on changes in those libs"
confuses me.  If the libraries -do- change, what action
should your makefile/app be performing?

Eric