[kw-pm] meeting wrapup

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Sat Sep 18 01:00:49 CDT 2004

As you can guess, last night we discussed Lloyd's regexp problem, and it
was lots of fun.  We should do a puzzle again, soon.

We ultimately agreed that Regexp::Common, though interesting and usefully
solves the problem of reading certain regexes, also solves a problem that
doesn't need to be solved by allowing the hackish tied-hash interface
$RE{foo}{something}{-parameter}{-otherparameter}.  And thus makes code
harder to read and less maintainable.  Oh well.

(What I think we need is for Damian to write a module to actually do
everything from perl6's regex engine, for perl5, and be done with it...)

We spent an additional bit of time over a pitcher at Heuthers, where we
learned the evil things Lloyd does with javascript during his (other) day
job. ;-)

Mark your calendars; we will next meet on Thursday October 21st:
Eric will speak on Perl 6: Twenty Things I Love, Five Things You'll Hate,
and Lloyd will speak on Parrot, the virtual machine that will run Perl 5,
6, Python, Java, and other bytecode.

Hope you can make it.