[kw-pm] Perl6 Update

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Sat Nov 27 09:12:22 CST 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Eric - fishbot wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
> > I've wanted local packages before, so that sounds like a plus.
>
> Really?  I'm curious how you planned to use those.  I tried
> to think of a good example last night, and I couldn't.
>
> In most of the cases where a lexical package makes some
> sense, a lexical class seemed a bit better fit.

Ya, I don't remember exactly, but I think it was some half-brained project
where I didn't use OO style when I started, but should've.  Wish I could
remember exactly why, since it seems I could just ignore the namespace
after I was done with it. :)  Probably 3am thinking :)

> Interestingly, it would seem that you could create a global
> subroutine within a lexical package.  I'm not sure what to
> call that.  Perhaps a super-closure?  Not sure what you

super-sub-closure? :)

> would do with that.  Some sort of dispatcher to
> package-subs accessible through that one point of entry
> comes to mind, but you could do that with a normal package
> with lexical subs.

What namespace would it end up in?  Main?  I wonder if that would be
useful for Damian's Sufficiently Advanced Technologies package which was
supposed to mangle the main namespace from a module...

Though, conjecturing what evil Damian could do with perl6 is certainly
premature.

-D