[kw-pm] Greetings, python, php

Daniel R. Allen daniel at coder.com
Wed Jun 23 18:40:42 CDT 2004

Holy cow, has it ever picked up.  I'm tempted to reply to about ten of
these messages, but I'm afraid of causing a positive feedback loop. :-)

Welcome Bill, welcome Simon, pull up a chair...  Hopefully, we'll have a
good turnout at our next meeting now!

--
To combine a few messages into one, Andrew: regarding python style, you
have the option of using python syntax in perl, if you find you like being

http://search.cpan.org/~fxn/Acme-Pythonic-0.32/lib/Acme/Pythonic.pm

 use Acme::Pythonic; # this semicolon yet needed

 sub delete_edges:
     my $G = shift
     while my ($u, $v) = splice(@_, 0, 2):
         if defined $v:
             $G->delete_edge($u, $v)
         else:
             my @e = $G->edges($u)
             while ($u, $v) = splice(@e, 0, 2):
                 $G->delete_edge($u, $v)

Yet Another module pointed out in Damian's talk...
--

And finally, regarding "hatred" of php, all of the complaints of PHP
(about dangers of rapid prototyping) can be levelled against perl as well.

Since we agree they aren't true for perl (just because perl CAN be
write-once, read-never, doesn't mean it has to be...) I'd like to hold out
hope for PHP.  I believe there have to be really good examples of elegant
PHP coding, even though I haven't really seen it.

googling for "elegant php" shows some promising pages, and if I get the
time I'll read these:

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/06/03/193223.shtml
http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php/article/articleview/85/1/9/

But I'll conclude (since this is a perl list, after all) that it seems
pretty clear that php isn't as mature a language as perl.  I won't even
get into python though. :-)

-Daniel