[kw-pm] Scanning Linux logfiles for dropouts

rprice at freeshell.org rprice at freeshell.org
Tue Jun 1 23:44:34 CDT 2004

Hi,

I just finished a perl program which will detect the dropout of a pattern
in a syslog type file.

Basically you specify the logfile, program, repeat period and pattern, and
if the pattern fails to show up on time, it syslogs the failure.

I use logcheck on Debian, so I wouldn't want it to email me the info, but
if someone wanted to add that feature, it would hardly be difficult.

I just finished it tonight, so I should let it run for good couple of days
to make sure it's working before I inflict it on anyone else, but I'd be
happy to share it with anyone who wanted it.

My usage is to ensure that various BoxBackup clients that backup to my
machine, in fact do so within a reasonable time period.

But it would be useful to check on any periodic thing that you would like
to watch. For instance, did my backup actually run each night?, if it
failed, you'd know about it, but what if it failed to run at all, you
wouldn't get a syslog entry for that...

Have Fun
Rick