[kw-pm] wiki etc.

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-pm at benshaw.com
Tue Jul 6 09:09:32 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 09:13, simon-kwpm at uc.org wrote:
> - have a logger that just sits there and listens to all the
>   communications that pass through, maybe indexing them for later
>   searching

Sounds like that "metadata bus" that there are a few Gnome apps for...  that
looks *REALLY* interesting.  it kind of passively sits there and watches what
you're doing/typing/looking at and throws up related data it thinks will be
useful.  What is that, D-BUS?

> So yes, some sort of format for all this data to float around in would be
> nice. I don't know that I'd want to ever look at the schema, I'd likely
> feel compelled to claw my eyes out afterwards. Maybe encapsulation would
> be a better route...

Good old LDAP issues.  :-)

On a low-level note, I was always impressed with how the Scream Tracker .s3m
file format handled this.  The file format was something like this (it's been
over 10 years now...)

[file header, magic number, etc.]
[offset to order data]
[offset to pattern data]
[offset to sample data]
[orderdata section]
[orderdata header]
[order 1]
[order 2]
[paterndata section]
[paterndata header]
[pattern 1]
[pattern 2]
[sampledata section]
[sampledata header]
[sample 1]
[sample 2]

To me, it was brilliant...  If you needed to update/expand the format it was
trivial to do so and the format was flexible enough that the player would
just discard extra data (old program, new file format)...

-A.