[kw-pm] Idea: Meeting Thursday the 26th

Daniel R. Allen da at coder.com
Sun Aug 15 01:07:30 CDT 2004

I propose that we meet Thursday the 26th of August (rather than in two
days) at the U of W.  I hope this day works for you- it's a juggle of
factors, plus guesswork.  If that day of the week is generally bad for
you, please let me know via email so we can try to rejigger the schedule
for future meetings.

Lloyd pointed out in an email to me that we should try to plan our
meetings regularly, further in advance, so as to be less confusing.  So,
why a meeting, and not a social, this month?

I suggest we spend a bit of time talking about the more memorable (and
useful) parts of YAPC; because I did learn about some interesting modules
and projects- a couple which I've used in my day job since then.

I'd like to do this soon, rather than in a month, before the details of
the conference get too hazy.  I expect the other folks in our group who
were at the conference might feel similarly.

The topic would be OK to do over beer, but I think it would be easier with
a projector to show off modules and such.  To whet your appitite, I submit
for your amusement, the module, IO::All, which I learned about in Damian
Conway's talk.

http://search.cpan.org/~ingy/IO-All-0.15/lib/IO/All.pm

use IO::All;
my $stuff < io('./mystuff'); # read contents of ./mystuff into $stuff
$stuff >> io('./morestuff');

...basically it reduces many perl IO operations to one line, and much
more.

I also propose that we find a second small topic for the meeting, such as,
say, "fast search engines with a good Perl API".  In fact, I've learned
about one, that I'm willing to talk about.

I'd be thrilled if other people have ideas for small talks, either ones
you'd like to see, or ones you'd like to give.  Don't be shy.  You can
post them to this list for discussion, or to the wiki
(http://kw.pm.org/wiki/?MeetingTopics) if you'd prefer anonymity.

Oh, and on the topic of planning for future meetings, watch this space for
an announcement...

-Daniel

--
http://coder.com/ - Prescient Code Solutions - (519) 575-3733 da at coder.com