[kw-pm] September's meeting: mod_perl

Arguile arguile at lucentstudios.com
Thu Sep 4 12:05:43 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 12:19, Daniel R. Allen wrote:
> An early announcement, and a question.
>
> September's meeting will be a talk on mod_perl led by Arguile.  We've been
> looking forward to this since the Spring.

So the vegetables and other munitions should be well rotted by now? :)

> The question is: we have a couple options for the date/location, which
> bring up a bit of conflict.
>
> One choice; on-campus at the bioinformatics lab; on Thursday the 25th (a
> week later than usual).  Or that Friday at the same location.

I'm thinking if we're trying to attract university students (or anyone
at all really) having it on one of the last summer Fridays of the year
might not be that great of an idea.

> Another choice; somewhere else to be determined, on the usual date, with
> somebody else volunteering to arrange it.

Sticking with a pre-arranged time/place would in general be a good idea
for scheduling. That said, I don't have any facilities to offer ;).

> Both myself and Tomas who have access to the bioinformatics lab will be
> out of town during the usual date this month.  So I wouldn't be able to
> make it for option B, which wouldn't be the end of the world and I'd
> be fine with that option; especially because:
>
> I've been in contact with Richard Dice of Toronto.pm and we've been also
> invited to Toronto.pm for their yearly Lightning Talks; which is *also*
> Thursday the 25th.

> My inclination is, since we're trying to welcome local students, we
> shouldn't make a to.pm road-trip our official meeting; and, we shouldn't
> put off poor Arguile another month for his talk.

Agreed on the first. If it comes down to skipping it again it's no big
deal to me.

> So if we can swing another location for the usual date (the 18th), we
> could ALSO have a road-trip to toronto for the lightning talks (which are
> a number of 5-10 minute talks; the format is popular at YAPC and is a lot
> of fun).

Or we could meet Wednesday then go down to the Mongolian Grille after
for $6.99 pitcher night (if we're at/near the university). This
completely counters my original arguement of a set date each month, but
it *is* beer.

kw.pm: Devolution in progress. =P