[kw-pm] Book Review - Oracle Design

Daniel R. Allen da at coder.com
Mon Jun 23 16:56:03 CDT 2003

Review by Rick Price <rprice at opentext.com>

The O'Reilly book Oracle Design is an excellent book, however I am
concerned about it's lack of coverage of Oracle 9i features. I believe
there are a good number of cases where their advice would be different if
Oracle 9i's features were taken into account.

One of the best things about the book is how it goes through design step
by step from the beginning. By the time you are finished the book, you
should have a good idea of how to design an Oracle database correctly. If
you are starting out in Oracle database design, this is an excellent
start.

Even with the lack of Oracle 9i coverage, I would heartily recommend this
book. However, it really should be updated. Also, the reader of the book
would be well advised to check the capabilities of Oracle 9i before
implementing anything the book recommends.

Rick