[kw-pm] Perlbot's ability to load/release/reload modules on the fly

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-pm at benshaw.com
Tue Jan 28 15:44:59 CST 2003

Before I go digging and try to figure it out myself, does anyone have any
experience with Perlbot and/or knows enough about Perl to give me a quick
rundown on how exactly Perl (well Perlbot) it is able to dynamically load,
reload and release Perl functions from its runtime?

An example: perlbot has module a, b, c, d, e and foo. a-e are already loaded
and functioning. I can, via IRC, tell the bot to load module 'foo' and it
will load it up, make it active and never disconnect or restart itself.
Similarly I can edit foo's configuration and tell it to reload, or tell
Perlbot to release module foo, all without Perlbot stopping.

The modules are just Perl code files.

Regards,
Andrew