[KPUG] Checking-in on progress

Gryphon Shafer gryphon at gryphonshafer.com
Tue Sep 25 10:13:43 PDT 2012

Greetings Anthony,

Self-motivation is hyper-critical for any software engineering job, but
even more so for jobs like those at Golden Guru where the work is done
remotely on your own schedule. Each day, it's important to evaluate the
long-term costs versus benefits of staying focused on the tasks at hand
versus being distracted by other pursuits. Playing Borderlands 2 may be
a lot of fun in the short-term, but it's helpful to evaluate whether
spending time there has better long-term value than investing in
preparing for a financially prosperous career.

There are times as a software engineer when there are specific tasks
laid out in a sequence, like building the virtual machine. There are
other times when you have a specific problem that's necessary to solve,
and you'll have to then pour over a great many details, derive theories,
test those theories, and adjust tactics based on the results. And there
are still other times when you'll be tasked with learning a new
technology or system or methodology. In these cases, you'll be required
to read through lengthy texts, since most complicated things require a
great deal of text to describe. The value of the work we do, and
therefore the size of our paychecks, is directly proportional to the
complexity of the work.

Consequently, it's valuable to develop a strong work ethic and be eager
to jump into tasks such as reading a book to learn a new programming
language. In the case of Learning Perl, however, it's more than just
reading. There are exercises at the end of each chapter that are
designed to help the learner use the concepts presented in the chapter.
These exercises then comprise a specific set of tasks to complete.

It's also important to remember that the autodidact concept we're
operating under is one where the learner is self-directed. This is
critical for two reasons: First, when working in a software engineering
job with Golden Guru, you'll have to be self-directed the vast majority
of the time. Second, I don't have time to provide much more than
pointers to the next major learning steps. It's up to the learner to
break apart those steps into smaller tasks and to make progress through
them. Since my goal is to hire folks who are able to do these sorts of
things, that's why from time to time there will be pointers to "read
this book".

Gryphon