[KPUG] Learning vi and Perl

Gryphon Shafer gryphon at gryphonshafer.com
Mon Sep 17 08:39:21 PDT 2012

Greetings all,

This week, your goal is to begin learning vi and Perl. I say "begin"
because learning both to a level of proficiency will take more than just
this week. However, by the end of this week, you should be able to have
a basic ability to edit files in vi (which is a text editor in your
Linux instance) and be able to write basic programs in Perl.

A word of warning: vi is not easy to learn. It's designed intentionally
to be extremely fast and powerful for folks with a lot of vi experience.
Once you've mastered vi, you'll find it the single most powerful and
efficiency text editor around. However, it will be quite painful getting
from novice to master. Just give it a try, and keep working at it
slowly. Eventually, you'll develop a lot of "muscle memory" with the
commands and be quite effective; just be patient.

Perl is huge. It'll take you a couple years to become a master. However,
you should be able to start writing basic programs in a few minutes.
There are a number of different ways to learn Perl. For this week, we're
going to focus on basic programming concepts.

The third thing I'd like you to do this week is sign up for a PerlMonks
account. PerlMonks is a painfully slow site, but filled with enormous
Perl wisdom.

Here are URLs about learning vi:

http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=333737
http://goldenguru.com/docman/OReilly/Unix2/vi/index.htm
http://www.openvim.com/tutorial.html

Here are URLs to start you off with Perl:

http://qntm.org/files/perl/perl.html
http://goldenguru.com/docman/OReilly/Perl_Bookshelf_v4/lperl/index.htm
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Tutorials

Read through these resources and try the exercises.

Gryphon