[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #236 - Grants, Testing and Fighting Entropy

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jan 31 23:13:18 PST 2016

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/236.html

 This week we have a few articles on testing web thingies (mocking web
services, using SWAT, that kind of fun stuff), encouraging grant reports
(shiny things are happening while we aren't looking), an early case of
Spring cleaning fever (where entropy is fought and modules put to
adoption). Oh, yes, and a modest proposal is made for a new Perl operator.
Enjoy! ~ `/anick

Announcements

  Please test www-apache/mod_perl-2.0.10_pre201601
  http://dilfridge.blogspot.com/2016/01/please-test-www-apachemodperl.html

  Using mod_perl? If so, you might want to test the trial version of its
  upcoming update.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Quality metrics for the head of the CPAN River
  http://neilb.org/2016/01/26/river-head-quality.html

  That bloke, there, in the waders, taking water samples from the might CPAN
  river? That's our Neil.
  --------------

  Bit Rot Thursday
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/zoffix_znet/2016/01/bit-rot-thursday.html

  Entropy waits for no-one. Every distribution released on CPAN, if left to
  itself, will slowly mush away. So what one should do? Fight the
  inexorable advance of decay? Give up? Embrace the chaos? Zoffix discusses
  those many paths.
  --------------

  100+ Modules for Adoption! (Bit Rot Thursday)
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/zoffix_znet/2016/01/modules-for-adoption-bit-rot-thursday.html

  Zoffix is going through an early Spring cleaning. He deleted a few of his
  old distributions, and put a bunch (and I really mean a /bunch/) of other
  up for adoption.
  --------------

  The easiest way to find the highest hash value without looping through all of them (max)
  http://perlmaven.com/highest-hash-value

  --------------

=============

Discussion

  The Fuse Operator - A Suggested Language Extension
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/martin/2016/01/the-fuse-operator---a-suggested-language-extension.html

  "I wish Perl had that one extra operator" is not something you hear very
  often. The "fuse" operator would be something for safe,
  non-auto-vivificating, dereferencing. I must admit, it does sounds
  appealing.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Mock Testing Web Services with Mojo
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/chase_whitener/2016/01/mock-testing-web-services-with-mojo.html

  So you want to test something interacting with a web service without,
  y'know, doing terrible things to that web service... If we were talking
  about a class or a function, you'd mock it in a heart-beat. Well, the
  same can be done for web services, here via a Mojo-based impostor.
  --------------

  curl + swat VS selenium
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/melezhik/2016/01/curl-swat-vs-selenuim.html

  You'd be hard-pressed to find such two wildly different test automation
  tools.  But how do they compare for the same task? Melezhik finds out.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Quick and Dirty: Vim highlighting and tag matching for HTML and Perl's Template Toolkit
  http://blog.geekuni.com/2016/01/vim-tt-html-highlighting-and-tag-matching.html

  A quick trick for vim jockeys to be able to jump back and forth between
  opening and closing tags within ToolkitTemplate tags.
  --------------

  UTF-16 and Windows CRLF, oh my
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/yary/2016/01/utf-16-and-windows-crlf-oh-my.html

  Running Perl on Windows? Dealing with UTF-16? You want to read this. Unless
  you're into learning things the hard way. In which case, don't read this.
  And stock up on headache medicine.
  --------------

  MVC with Dancer2 and DBIC: Form Validation
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/sherwin_daganato/2016/01/mvc-with-dancer2-and-dbic-form-validation.html

  How to use HTML::FormHandler with Dancer2 for the sign-up page of your
  application.
  --------------

  App::TimeTracker::Command::Category
  http://domm.plix.at/perl/2016_01_app_timetracker_category.html

  tracker, the command-line time-tracking application by domm, can now tag
  tasks with categories, thanks to this new plugin.
  --------------

  IO::Iron - Towards Update to Version 3
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/mikko_koivunalho/2016/01/ioiron---towards-update-to-version-3.html

  v3 of the web service IronMQ is coming up, and	the maintainer of IO::Iron
  is already on deck, making sure that when the time come, he'll have all
  his ducks in a row.
  --------------

  How to provide STDIN to an external executable?
  http://perlmaven.com/how-to-provide-stdin-to-an-external-executable

  --------------

=============

Grants

  Migrating blogs.perl.org: Second Progress Report
  http://news.perlfoundation.org/2016/01/migrating-blogsperlorg-second-.html

  The migration of blogs.perl.org to the PerlBee platform is slowly making
  progress. We can already peer at the work done in its GitHub repository,
  and a wider audience test instance is supposed to become accessible
  soonishingly.
  --------------

  Maintaining Perl 5: Grant Report for November 2015
  http://news.perlfoundation.org/2016/01/maintaining-perl-5-grant-repor-24.html

  Bolts tightened here, squeaky cogs oiled there. Lot of little improvements
  have been done by the grant elves in November.
  --------------

  Grant Report: Test::Simple/Stream Stabilization
  http://news.perlfoundation.org/2016/01/grant-report-testsimplestream-.html

  Looks like Test::More and friends are close to being upgraded to a newer
  engine.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Perl 6 .rotor: The King of List Manipulation
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/zoffix_znet/2016/01/perl-6-rotor-the-king-of-list-manipulation.html

  It slices, it dices, it... gets pretty funky in the last example of that
  article.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  NICEPERL's lists
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/

  Great modules released last week (
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2016/01/lxv-cpan-great-modules-released-last
  .html );
  MetaCPAN weekly report (
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2016/01/cxcvii-metacpan-weekly-report-import
  er.html );
  StackOverflow Perl report (
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2016/01/ccxxii-stackoverflow-perl-report.htm
  l ).
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html