[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #183 - Glyphs and Badges

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jan 25 22:56:03 PST 2015

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/183.html

We're already at our fourth edition for this year. January is almost over
-- that sound you're hearing is the PR Challenge contestants hurrying to
get their patches ready  before February rolls in. In other news, we have
some visual candy for you this month: David Farrell brings us some new
nifty Perl-themed glyphs, and mdk crafted a badge for all the CPAN testers
out there. Enjoy!  ~ `/anick

Announcements

  OpenWest 2015 - Call for Papers
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/dean/2015/01/openwest-2015---call-for-papers.html

  Feeling like going West in May? OpenWest is having its call for papers as
  we speak.
  --------------

  Introducing 3 new Perl Glyphs
  http://perltricks.com/article/146/2015/1/23/Introducing-3-new-Perl-Glyphs

  Thanks to David, you can now augment your herd of glyphs with Perl's
  well-known  sigils -- the camel, the onion and Camelia the butterfly,
  they are now available in beautifully scalable svg glory.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Ranking CPAN dists for the PR Challenge
  http://neilb.org/2015/01/19/prc-scoring.html

  For the PR Challenge, Neil had to come up with a way to rank  CPAN
  distributions and figure out which ones are the best candidates  for the
  challenge. He explains here the heuristics he's using to come up with
  that score.
  --------------

  The Perl QA Hackathon 2015
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/neilb/2015/01/the-perl-qa-hackathon-2015.html

  "What is the Perl QA HAckathon, and why should I care?" Good questions, and
  master Bowers provides equally good answers.
  --------------

  Yak-Shaving January 2015
  http://reneeb-perlblog.blogspot.com/2015/01/yak-shaving-january-2015.html

  Rare indeed are the developer tasks for which the path to realization is a
  straight one. Renée's journey in January seems to have been
  particularly sinuous.
  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Pro
The Perl Maven Pro ("http://perlmaven.com/pro") subscribers receive two new
  articles and screencasts every week. The last week these were the two
  screencasts:

  Modules in Perl
  http://perlmaven.com/pro/modules

  --------------

  Namespaces and packages
  http://perlmaven.com/pro/namespaces-and-packages

  --------------

=============

Discussion

  The Testers Need a Badge
  http://shadow.cat/blog/mark-keating/2015/04-cpantesters/

  CPAN Testers, integral to the success of Perl as an ecosystem, but  seldom
  actively noticed. To let those unsung heroes taste a little bit of the
  glamour, mdk proposes a series of smoking signs.
  --------------

  How OBVIOUS things get missed to be done... or seen...
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/krasimir_berov/2015/01/how-obvious-things-get-missed-to-be-done-or-seen.html

  Krasimir submitted a grant proposal for Ado, a dependency-light application
  and framework for web projects based on Mojolicious. Here, he makes his
  case for it, as well as present the tenets he's holding its code to.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Setting up a Perl Development Environment with plenv
  http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/2390/setting-up-a-perl-development-environment-with-plenv/

  David gives a straight-up, no-nonsense set of steps to get you a
  plenv-based Perl environment up and running in, oh, probably	less than
  10 minutes.
  --------------

  Asynchronous Musings
  https://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com/posts/asyncronous-musings

  Could have been called "Embrassing the Future(s)", as fREW leverages these
  constructs for asynchronous programming.
  --------------

  CPAN Cleaning Day 2457044: Compiler::Lexer
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/brian_d_foy/2015/01/cpan-cleaning-day-2457044-compilerlexer.html

  Using the postfix deferences that came with Perl 5.20? If you do, you might
  notice that Perl::MinimumVersion and Perl::MinimumVersion::Fast are a bit
  sloppy and think your code is respectively vintage 5.004 or 5.008. This
  irks brian, so he rolled up his sleeves and dove into the C++-fueled
  heart of  darkness.
  --------------

  Practical FFI with Platypus
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/graham_ollis/2015/01/practical-ffi-with-platypus.html

  Graham previously extolled the potential of FFI (Foreign Function
  Interface) at YAPC::NA 2014. Here he introduces FFI::Platypus, which
  adds the 'F' of friendliness to the mix.
  --------------

  Managing SQL Data with Yertl
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/preaction/2015/01/managing-sql-data-with-yertl.html

  'Yertl' suspiciously resemble the sound a strangled dba makes. It's also  a
  new set of command-line tools to deal with database ETL operations that
  looks very promising.
  --------------

  Create presentation programmatically with Presentation::Builder
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/mj41/2015/01/create-presentation-programmatically-with-presentationbuilder.html

  A new offering in the realm of slide generation.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Gathering Up Steam Again
  https://p6weekly.wordpress.com/2015/01/20/2015-03-gathering-up-steam-again/

  On the Perl6 horizon: quick way create hashes with objects for keys, more
  helpful warning messages, optimizations, and more!
  --------------

  How to connect to the #perl6 IRC channel and try Perl 6 on-line
  http://perl6maven.com/how-to-use-perl6-without-installing-it

  --------------

=============

Videos

  I gave this talk about Automated Scoring Systems at MadMongers...
  http://plainblackguy.tumblr.com/post/108648992051/i-gave-this-talk-about-automated-scoring-systems

  We can only surmise tha the talk auto-gave itself a 5 stars rating.
  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  What is autovivification?
  http://perlmaven.com/autovivification

  --------------

  Construct the path to a file in the same directory as the current script
  http://perlmaven.com/path-to-file-in-the-same-directory-as-script

  --------------

  Avoid (unwanted) bitwise operators
  http://perlmaven.com/avoid-unwanted-bitwise-operators

  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2015/01/clxix-stackoverflow-perl-report.html

  --------------

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - FFI::Platypus
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2015/01/cxliv-metacpan-weekly-report-ffiplatypus.html

  --------------

  CPAN great modules released last week
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2015/01/xii-cpan-great-modules-released-last.html

  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html