[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #177 - 'Tis the Season

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Dec 15 00:47:33 PST 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/177.html

 By now, it's fair to say we are squarely in Yulite territory and, as the
countdown to the new Year is approaching the single digit fast, we can
almost see 2015 at the horizon. To go with the seasonal mood, we have
plenty of Advent calendars for you this week. And if the Holidays put you
in an altruistic mood, we have a few articles hinting at projects where a
helpful hand would be appreciated. Enjoy! ~ `/anick

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  https://apply.hrmdirect.com/resumedirect/ApplyOnline/Apply.aspx?req_id=enc-15.593755100595937&source=189688-CS-6734

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  New Perl 6 community server now live, accepting signups
  http://perlgeek.de/blog-en/perl-6/2014-community-server-live.html

  It's alive! www.p6c.org is online and officially opened for business!
  --------------

  Looking for new maintainer for Memcached::libmemcached
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/matthew_horsfall/2014/12/looking-for-new-maintainer-for-memcachedlibmemcached.html

  Memcached::libmemcached, just like Tiny Tim, needs some help. Will you be
  visited by the three ghosts of CPAN Past,  Present and Yet To Be, and
  find in your heart the true meaning of  co-maintenance?
  --------------

  whatcanidoforperl.org
  http://whatcanidoforperl.org

  Want to help the Perl ecosystem, but not sure how. Fear not: a new site,
  whatcanidoforperl.org, is there to gently guide you toward your
  contributing	destiny.
  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Pro
The Perl Maven Pro ("http://perlmaven.com/pro") subscribers receive two new
  articles and screencasts every week. The last week these were the two
  screencasts:

  Is this IP in the given subnet?
  http://perlmaven.com/pro/is-this-ip-in-the-given-subnet

  When trying to limit access to an application based on IP address, it
  should be easy to designate and then to check certain subnets as well.
  --------------

  Test for expected warnings
  http://perlmaven.com/pro/test-for-expected-warnings

  A new entry in the Test automation with Perl series, testing if a function
  warns as expected.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Proposed convention for todo lists on CPAN
  http://neilb.org/2014/12/13/todo-convention-for-cpan.html

  Some peeps like to include a TODO list in their CPAN distributions, both
  as a reminder to oneself and as an inspiration for wannabe-helpers. Neil
  proposes here a simple Markdown format to standardize the practice.
  --------------

  int main in C and hard coded directory separators in Perl
  http://blog.nu42.com/2014/12/int-main-in-c-and-hard-coded-directory.html

  In Perl-land, it's easy to lull oneself in the fallacy that all the world
  is UNIXish and do things like assuming that file path separators are
  always '/'s. Don't, Sinan begs of you, mostly considering that doing The
  Right Thing is not as hard as you might think.
  --------------

  Hi, New World!
  https://andreeapirvulescu.wordpress.com/2014/12/10/hi-new-world/

  MetaCPAN has a new pair of hands on deck. Andreea Pirvulescu will be
  working on CPAN search engine for the next three months, as part of the
  Outreach Program for Women.
  --------------

  Perl Recruitment Thoughts
  http://perlhacks.com/2014/12/perl-recruitment-thoughts

  Dave muses on the where and how of recruiting good Perl  developers.
  --------------

  Dev Assistant
  http://perlhacks.com/2014/12/dev-assistant

  Dave came across 'Dev Assistant', a tool that aims at helping  neophyte
  developers into the many steps standing between the initial itch to the
  publication of a project. They support Perl, which is awesome, but they
  might need help to bring their Perl support up to Modern Perl  standards.
  So... who feels like assisting the assistant?
  --------------

=============

Code

  The Moose::Role Required "attributes" Bug
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/ovid/2014/12/the-mooserole-required-attributes-bug.html

  Annoyed that you have to punt 'with' statements at the very bottom of class
  declarations? Read on, as Ovid has a workaround for that.
  --------------

  Announcing WebService::Vultr v0.1
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/eskaaren/2014/12/announcing-webservicevultr-v01.html

  Your e-sky is not overcast enough? One more cloud option opens to you as
  Vultr's API is now fully accessible via this new module.
  --------------

  Automated Internet Explorer screenshots using Win32::OLE
  http://perltricks.com/article/139/2014/12/11/Automated-Internet-Explorer-screenshots-using-Win32--OLE

  If you are doing web testing on Windows platforms, you'll loooove want
  Sinan has for you.
  --------------

  Controlling Firefox from Perl
  http://perltricks.com/article/138/2014/12/8/Controlling-Firefox-from-Perl

  It's possible, with the help of a Perl module and a Firefox add-on, to have
  those two pieces of software talk to each other like best buddies. Web
  testing, browsing automation, javascript shenanigans, think of the
  possibilities...
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2014/12/clxiii-stackoverflow-perl-report.html

  --------------

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - Mojolicious::Plugin::FormFieldsFromJSON
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2014/12/cxxxviii-metacpan-weekly-report.html

  --------------

  CPAN great modules released last week
  http://niceperl.blogspot.com/2014/12/vi-cpan-great-modules-released-last-week.html

  --------------

=============

Advent Calendars

  Perl
  http://perladvent.org

  --------------

  Catalyst
  http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2014

  --------------

  Dancer
  http://advent.perldancer.org/2014

  --------------

  Perl 6
  http://perl6advent.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/

  --------------

  MST's
  http://shadow.cat/blog/matt-s-trout/mstpan-1/

  --------------

  Perlancar's
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/perlancar/2014/12/perlancars-2014-advent-calendar.html

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Migrating (the Perl Maven site) from Dancer 1 to Dancer2
  http://perlmaven.com/migrating-from-dancer-to-dancer2

  It took several days but finally the Perl Maven site is running on the new
  Dancer 2 framework. This article describes the issues encountered.
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html