[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #167 - TPF: Money in, grants out

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Oct 5 23:41:56 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/167.html

Hi

Welcome to te Perl Dancer conference in Hancock, NY!

This week seems to be the week of The Perl Foundation. Five articles from
receiving a $60,000 donation, through deciding on grants and getting grant
reports to the promise of more active PR. Have TPF just woke up from its 15
year sleep? Will be fun to see.

In other news, well, just go and read the other news: ~szabgab

Perl Maven Pro
The Perl Maven Pro ("http://perlmaven.com/pro") subscribers receive two new
  articles and screencasts every week. The last week these were the two
  screencasts:

  Comparing complex data-structures using is_deeply
  http://bit.ly/1urvtLq

  How can you test if the function that returns an array or hash returned the
  expected array or hash? is_deeply to the rescue.
  --------------

  Forget your plan, just call done_testing
  http://bit.ly/1urvuPx

  Setting no_plan is drastic. There is another solution to avoid counting,
  which is a bit better: done_testing.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Use postfix dereferencing
  http://bit.ly/1q14Ne0

  Perl 5.20 introduced a new, experimental syntax to dereference, well,
  references. brian d foy shows how to use those. What do you thin about
  the feature? Do you like it or think it creates further confusion? See
  also this reddit ("http://bit.ly/1urvu1L") discussion.
  --------------

  Perl v5.20 fixes taint problems with locale
  http://bit.ly/1q14Pm9

  --------------

  Planet Moose - September 2014
  http://bit.ly/1q14Ne4

  The monthly report of Toby Inkster about everything Object Oriented in Perl
  --------------

=============

Code

  Creating Module::Loader
  http://bit.ly/1q14Pmk

  Neil Bowers, after reviewing all the available modules that can load other
  modules have reached the conclusion he needs to create his own. The will
  the universal standard ("http://bit.ly/1q14Pmh") for loading modules.
  --------------

  Neutralize Shellshock by patching Bash with Perl
  http://bit.ly/1q14Pml

  Last week, after sharing the previous article of David Farrell about the
  Shell voulnaribility and its impact on Perl, we got quite a few comments
  explaining that the article did not take into account
  mod_perl/cgi/something else. I am far from being an expert on security
  and Bash and this particular issue, so I am not sure this is a complete
  and correct solution, but I think it is definitely good to see solutions
  in Perl to problems not caused by Perl.
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Travis and Dist::Zilla project
  http://bit.ly/1q14Pmm

  I am also a fan of Travis. It seems now Dave Wood is too.
  --------------

  What's new on CPAN - September 2014
  http://bit.ly/1q14Nee

  The monthly report of David Farell on the newly uploaded modules on CPAN.
  You can get the raw list from MetaCPAN (see the screencast about MetaCPAN
  recent uploads), but it is much more fun to see the list categorized and
  commented.
  --------------

  Exporter::Tiny nearing 1.000000
  http://bit.ly/1q14PCF

  It offers similar functionality as Sub::Exporter, that makes it easy to
  export functions.
  --------------

  SQL::Composer - mapping SQL from Perl and back
  http://bit.ly/1q14PCI

  What if you don't really need/want an ORM, but still don't want to deal
  with the details of SQL? Or is it just a simple ORM? Is it a replacement
  for SQL::Abstract? Or that of Fey?
  --------------

=============

The Perl Foundation

  The Perl Foundation to increase brand, marketing, and PR
  http://bit.ly/1q14PCL

  I did not know TPF supports the 4 events in the USA. I always thought it as
  more a global thing. But then there is YEF too.
  --------------

  September 2014 Grant Votes
  http://bit.ly/1q14NuH

  Inline::C(PP) Module Support got funded. IO::All Redux was put on hold till
  the next round.
  --------------

  Booking.com Donates $60,000 to Perl 5 Development
  http://bit.ly/1q14PCS

  --------------

  Grant Reports for September
  http://bit.ly/1q14Qqf

  Links to grant reports of the 'Modern Object Oriented Programming in Perl'
  and the 'Perl::Lint' grants.
  --------------

  Maintaining the Perl 5 Core: Report for Month 11
  http://bit.ly/1q14PT8

  Dave Mitchell reporsts on his progress improving perl.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  PerlWizard - A free wizard for automatic Perl software code generation using simple forms
  http://bit.ly/1q14Qqn

  I have not actually tried this, but this, hmm, looks strange. A Java
  Application that will generate a GUI from a Perl script? It did not get a
  warm welcoming neither on reddit ("http://bit.ly/1q14PTd") nor on
  PerlMonks ("http://bit.ly/1q14Qqj"). I think the idea should be welcomed.
  Even if the implementation can be further improved in major ways.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Macros progress report: after a long break
  http://bit.ly/1q14PTo

  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  (cxxviii) metacpan weekly report - Mojo::Pg
  http://bit.ly/1q14QGI

  --------------

  (cliii) stackoverflow perl report
  http://bit.ly/1q14Q9F

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Short-circuit in boolean expressions
  http://bit.ly/1q14Q9M

  Explaining the good and the bad about 'or' short-circuiting.
  --------------

  MetaCPAN recent uploads
  http://bit.ly/1q14Q9T

  MetaCPAN can show the most recently uploaded modules, and it can also
  filter it to show only modules that are totally new to CPAN. (3 min
  screencast)
  --------------

=============

Event reports

  YAPC::Asia Tokyo 2014 感想エントリまとめ (随時更新)
  http://bit.ly/1q14QGW

  It seems that Miyagawa insists on calling me out for noticing and
  mentioning the 4 reports about the Swiss Perl Workshop in English (BTW I
  found 5), while missing the 200 or so reports on YAPC::Asia 2014 in
  Japanese. (Though I included the 2 or 3 I found in English). It is
  impressive, but I still can't read any of those. So who will step forward
  and improve the communication between the Japanese and the
  English-speaking Perl community? I personally have started to play Go
  again. Now it is your turn.
  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Hancock (NY/USA), Itapema (SC/Brasil), Salzburg
  (Austria), Barcelona (Spain), London (UK)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html