[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #159 - The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop 2014 Tilt Campaign

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Aug 11 00:44:33 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/159.html

Hi,

Greetings from Germany where I am currently teaching a 'Test automation
using Perl' course.

Relax and enjoy the summer!

Or winter. If you happen to be on the other side of the globe.

Sponsors

  ZipRecruiter is hiring modern Perl Programmers (Los Angeles or remote in US)
  http://bit.ly/1nAxFZj

  At ZipRecruiter, our goal is to build the best online services for finding
  and filling jobs. We've grown from 4 to over 100 employees in less than 4
  years with zero funding.  We care about code quality and quality of life.
  To learn more about our business and values, please follow the link
  above.
  --------------

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1kWEG7t

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.
  --------------

=============

GitTip profile of the week
I stopped including GitTip links as they seemed to have only minimal
  impact, but if you think you'd want to tip the editors of the newsletter
  you can do it here ("https://www.gittip.com/PerlWeekly/").

=============

Tilt and Kickstart

  The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop 2014 Tilt Campaign
  http://bit.ly/1ylRdXx

  Would you like to go to the Pittsburgh Perl Workshop? The organizers ask
  for your commitment before they start to organize. Go place your tilt for
  $125.
  --------------

  Kickstarting Mastering Perl Course at the Swiss Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcCY

  brian d foy offers various options from getting an e-book version of the
  book 'Mastering Perl' through participating in his training class in
  Zürich till having him consult for your for a full day.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  How should conference speakers be compensated?
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcD3

  brian d foy explains how the Master Classes he started to run at
  YAPC::Chicago in 2006 helped financing some of the speakers. IMHO, as I
  also wrote already ("http://bit.ly/1cfoBom") this is a win-win and such
  training classes can even help sponsoring other parts of the conference.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Mojolicious - Perl real-time web framework
  http://bit.ly/1ylRedS

  A long thread of discussion on HackerNews that of course diverges to the
  discussion of OOP in Perl and sigils and whatnot.
  --------------

  Perl as a career option
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcD4

  Andrew Solomon has been interviewed by Linux Career covering quite a few
  topic from 'Modern Perl' via web development to 'how to get started with
  Perl'.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Rescue legacy code with modulinos
  http://bit.ly/1ylRedT

  Modulino is a Perl module that can be also used as a script. brian d foy
  explains how this feature can be used to convert scripts into modules and
  make it easier to start testing them.
  --------------

  Check your test coverage with Devel::Cover
  http://bit.ly/1ylRedW

  --------------

=============

Code

  Parse Excel with ease using Perl
  http://bit.ly/1ylRedY

  David Farrell shows how to read Excel files using Spreadsheet::Read.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Catalyst vs Dancer vs Mojolicious on Stack Overflow
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTk

  I checked the number of posts on Stack Overflow tagged with each one of
  those: Catalyst: 380, Mojolicious: 213, Dancer: 133. Does this mean
  anything?
  --------------

  Catalyst 5.90070 has Landed!
  http://bit.ly/1ylRedZ

  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Don't be afraid to rename your module / dist
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTm

  Neil Bowers explains module name choices and how to rename a module.
  --------------

  Curating CPAN sometimes means really deleting stuff
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTn

  Philippe Bruhat (BooK) shows 3 cases when he decide a module should be
  totally removed from CPAN and uses his examples to encourage others too
  to remove obsolete modules.
  --------------

  Fix a bug on CPAN Day
  http://bit.ly/1ylRee5

  It is Neil Bowers again (I really hope he will create a post linking to all
  of his CPAN-day related posts) showing how the number of bugs on RT are
  steadily growing (but not even looking at bugs reported elsewhere). More
  importantly he created a list of the to 20 distributions in terms of open
  RT tickets. There are some very important modules in that list! Go ahead,
  you can fix a bug or at least write a test case.
  --------------

  Don't declare a dependency on Crypt::SSLeay (or IO::Socket::SSL either)
  http://bit.ly/1ylRee6

  Instead of that, if your code uses https then declare a dependency on
  LWP::Protocol::https.
  --------------

  Fix your CPAN Testers failures on CPAN Day
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTp

  Another thing you can do to help CPAN and the Perl ecosystem.
  --------------

  Taking CPAN With You
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTq

  Michael Greb shows how to use CPAN::Mini to create a local copy of CPAN,
  and how to use it with cpanm, cpanp, or with good old cpan.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Maintaining Perl 5: Grant Report for Month 11
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTr

  The monthly report from Tony Cook. (The unofficial list of grants and
  reports is here ("http://bit.ly/Vz84u2").)
  --------------

  Maintaining Perl 5: Grant Report for Month 12
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTs

  --------------

  GSoC Week 11: Improving Documentation for MetaCPAN.
  http://bit.ly/1ylReus

  Talina Shrotriya keeps herself busy with MetaCPAN activity heading towards
  the "Web of Trust" that will hopefully vastly improve the search results
  on MetaCPAN.
  --------------

  Maintaining the Perl 5 Core: Report for Month 10 (July 2014)
  http://bit.ly/1ylReut

  --------------

=============

Core Perl

  perlcc next steps
  http://bit.ly/1ylRcTy

  Compiling Perl code to executable? Some crazy optimizations done by Reini
  Urban at cPanel.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  2014.31 (for real this time)
  http://bit.ly/1ylReuw

  The Perl 6 weekly.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  (cxlv) stackoverflow perl report
  http://bit.ly/1ylReuz

  --------------

  (cxx) metacpan weekly report - Time::Moment
  http://bit.ly/1ylRd9Q

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Don't interpolate in printf (Missing argument in sprintf at ...)
  http://bit.ly/1ylReuA

  A screencast (and article) on how I made a stupid mistake and how you could
  avoid it.
  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Sofia (Bulgaria), Tokyo (Japan), Flörli Olten
  (Switzerland), Hancock (NY/USA), Itapema (SC/Brasil), Salzburg (Austria),
  Barcelona (Spain), London (UK)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html