[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #157 - Barcelona or London?

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Jul 27 22:13:59 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/157.html

Hi,

I am back from my vacation in Barcelona and the news in the Perl world is
that there is going to be a Perl workshop in Barcelona, and on the very
same day London will also hold its annual Perl Workshop. Look for the
details at the end of the newsletter!

In other news Neil Bowers is busy preparing all of us for 'CPAN-day' coming
up in 2 weeks. - See the articles below.

Enjoy! ~szabgab

Articles

  Writing private functions in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1rPsQ4h

  Neil Bowers explains several ways to make functions 'private'. Some are by
  convention (prefixing the name with an underscore), others are
  experimental (lexical sub), yet others require additional modules from
  CPAN (Sub::Private). You have a choice how private do you want the
  functions to be.
  --------------

  Calculating Probability
  http://bit.ly/1rPsSJy

  Article published on Linux Magazine by Mike Schilli. (most of the article
  is for paying readers only)
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Testing with Perl
  http://bit.ly/1rPsSJF

  A collection of Perl Maven articles and screencasts about testing using
  Perl.
  --------------

=============

Code

  The Unicode section of our style guide
  http://bit.ly/1rPsQ4p

  Learn how does Lokku/Nestoria handle Unicode in Perl. Without much theory,
  just the useful bits.
  --------------

  Formats
  http://bit.ly/1rPsSZW

  I remember when I first started to teach Perl using a slide-deck provided
  by the training company. It taught all kinds of thing people hardly used.
  Including format. It is probably not very useful today, but if you are
  interested, brian d foy has just published the part of the 'Learning
  Perl' book that covered this feature of perl.
  --------------

  Perlweekly Confidential: Corralling News
  http://bit.ly/1rPsT01

  Yanick shares his new toy, how he gathers news items from RSS feeds to
  build the Perl Weekly on the weeks when he is the editor.
  --------------

  (?P<NAME>...) vs (?<NAME>...)
  http://bit.ly/1rPsT04

  Steven Haryanto explains how to make your named captures (in regexes) more
  similar in Perl and Python by using the 'P' prefix.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Broken LWP in the wild
  http://bit.ly/1rPsT09

  --------------

=============

CPAN

  Dezi::App
  http://bit.ly/1rPsQkT

  Dezi is a search engine platform based on Swish3, Apache Lucy, OpenSearch
  and Plack. Peter Karman has just finished porting it to Moose.
  --------------

  Easily add tab completion feature to your CLI program using Getopt::Long::Complete
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTgq

  Steven Haryanto has a new module on CPAN.
  --------------

  The ghost of CPAN Days past
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTgt

  CPAN day is on 14th August. Last week Neil Bowers urged us
  ("http://bit.ly/UjVLAE") to do something special. This time he tell us
  what happened on that very special day in every one of the last 19 years.
  --------------

  Give your modules a good abstract
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTgx

  Neil Bowers helps us make our modules more findable by people. In a
  separate article he also suggests how to write good synopsis
  ("http://bit.ly/1rPsTgw") for our modules to make it easier to get
  started.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Let's top git.io
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTgC

  Mark Keating, the marketing manager of the Perl Foundation, is calling you
  to follow Kent Fredric on GitHub in order to give Perl developers a
  better representation in the git.io/top list.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Past few weeks with MetaCPAN.
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTgG

  Talina Shrotriya provides update on her GSOC grant - 'Starring of Modules'
  and 'Web of Trust'.
  --------------

=============

Slides

  Github, Travis-CI and Perl
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTx1

  Dave Cross talked at the technical meeting of the London Perl Mongers.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Performance Profiling with Devel::NYTProf
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTx2

  Tim Bunce explains the various views you can generated using the profiler
  he maintenance, and then provides lots of suggestions how to improve the
  speed of your code. (50 min presentation from YAPC::NA)
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Bugs, Updates, and ABIs
  http://bit.ly/1rPsQBv

  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  metacpan weekly report - WebAPI::DBIC
  http://bit.ly/1rPsQRN

  --------------

  stackoverflow perl report
  http://bit.ly/1rPsQRW

  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Sofia (Bulgaria), Tokyo (Japan), Flörli Olten
  (Switzerland), Hancock (NY/USA), Itapema (SC/Brasil), Salzburg (Austria),
  Barcelona (Spain), London (UK)
  --------------

  Barcelona Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/1kgchIB

  8 November, 2014, Barcelona, Spain
  --------------

  London Perl Workshop - LPW2014
  http://bit.ly/1o0ctvT

  8 November, 2013, London, UK
  --------------

  YAPC::EU 2014 schedule
  http://bit.ly/1rPsTNz

  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html