[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #156 - Perl 5.21.2 is out, YAPC::EU is coming in

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Jul 21 00:14:06 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/156.html

This week we have lots of foreshadowing of nifty things to come: YAPC::EU's
buzz is intensifying, a new development release of Perl 5 has been churned,
a discussion of  the direction Catalyst development is going. The future, I
must say, doesn't look half-bad.  Enjoy! ~ `/anick

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1rM04mw

  We are a fast growing software company using open source software/modern
  Perl practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection
  web applications. We have been hiring great Developers for many years,
  and we want to further expand our distributed team of talented and
  friendly Developers. Most of our experienced Developers telecommute;
  on-site positions are also available.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Guest Speaker Peter Rabbitson at Perl::Dancer Conference
  http://bit.ly/UjVIEY

  Things are shaping well for the Perl::Dancer Conference that will happen in
  Hancock, NY this October.  Peter Rabbitson, Stefan Hornburg announces,
  has confirmed his presence as a guest speaker.
  --------------

  First Round of Talks Accepted - But Still Room for More!
  http://bit.ly/UjVIVj

  The list of talks is shaping up for YAPC::EU. The first round is completed,
  but stragglers rejoice: there is still room, so it's not too late to
  squeeze in.
  --------------

  Communication Channels
  http://bit.ly/UjVLk4

  Wondering where to pick up the latest news and updates on YAPC::EU? Wonder
  no more: all communication channels are listed here.
  --------------

  Looking for help to package Perl6, Moar and others for Debian
  http://bit.ly/UjVLAB

  Familiar with Debian packaging? Perl 6 needs you! Dominique Dumont calls
  for help to package Perl 6 projects for Debian.
  --------------

  Perl 5.12.2 has been released
  http://bit.ly/UjVLAC

  The next development release of Perl is out!
  --------------

  CPAN Day - 14th August!
  http://bit.ly/UjVLAE

  On August 14th, CPAN will be 19 years old. Neil Bowers urges you to do
  something to celebrate the occasion. Me, I'm considering asking friends
  to bring individual muffins and build a giant, delicious cake out of
  them.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  PSGI Middleware and the Future of Catalyst
  http://bit.ly/UjVLAG

  John Napiorkowski offers us a glimpse of the future of Catalyst, and how
  it's integrating even more closely with the PSGI middleware layer.
  --------------

  CPAN Testers Summary - June 2014 - Built To Last
  http://bit.ly/UjVIVr

  Barbie summarizes the many things that happened in the CPAN Testers world
  in June.
  --------------

  Meta-Meta-Meta Problem Solving
  http://bit.ly/UjVLAH

  Toby Inkster is on his way to a yak stack overflow, as he solves problems
  to solve problems to, hopefully, solve his problem.
  --------------

  A Gentle TLS Intro for Perlers
  http://bit.ly/UjVLQW

  Security is hard. An absolute requirement in this bold new world, but,
  yeah, it's hard.  Fortunately, fREW Schmidt provides us here a nice,
  gentle introduction to TLS.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  San Francisco Perl Mongers: 12 months, 50% growth
  http://bit.ly/UjVIVs

  The SF.pm group is doing very well indeed, VM Brasseur reports, while
  sharing some of the secrets of their success.
  --------------

  Net:: vs WWW:: vs WebService::
  http://bit.ly/UjVIVv

  Cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors. Everybody know
  those are the two of the thorniest problems we have to deal with. Here,
  Steven Haryanto open the discussion on what is the sensible namespace to
  use for web service APIs.
  --------------

  Sunshine Of Your Love
  http://bit.ly/UjVIVw

  The survey results are in for YAPC::NA, announces Barbie.
  --------------

  Yanick At Perl Conference: Notes of Attendance (YAPC::NA)
  http://bit.ly/UjVIVx

  Scattered notes of Yanick on his  YAPC::NA experience at Orlando.
  --------------

  Between Learning and Doing
  http://bit.ly/UjVJbK

  Once upon a time, Doug Bell decided to start a new project. At the time, he
  also opted to write it in a language that he had no experience in,
  despite the fact that there was a quite real time constraint involved.
  Now that the wounds have healed, he shares his experience with us.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Using GDAL/OGR perl bindings to load GPX files into PostgreSQL/PostGIS
  http://bit.ly/UjVLRc

  James Marca begins to dabbles with the Perl bindings to interact with
  geospatial data coming from PostgreSQL.
  --------------

  Generate static websites from dynamic Perl web apps
  http://bit.ly/UjVM7q

  Catalyst, Dancer, Mojolicious and all the web framework are great to get
  the stuff done. But sometimes we need a static representation of the
  final website. That's where Wallflower comes in, and	David Farrell shows
  us how to use it.
  --------------

  A simple function exporter
  http://bit.ly/UjVJbM

  Neil Bowers is having a look at exporter modules, and to understand the
  mechanisms involved he has a try at crafting a minimal exporting module
  from the bottom up.
  --------------

  More with the GDAL/OGR perl bindings
  http://bit.ly/UjVM7u

  James Marca continues to have fun with Perl and geospatial data.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  July 2014 Grant Proposals
  http://bit.ly/UjVM7v

  There are two grant proposals in the wing for the Perl Foundation,  Makoto
  Nozaki tells us. One is a book project, the other deals with improvements
  for the software running the Perl conferences websites.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/UjVM7w

  --------------

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - Moo
  http://bit.ly/UjVM7x

  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html