[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #150 - Hot? Cold? Exotic? Urban? Don't Worry: We Have a Conference For You

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Jun 9 00:07:16 PDT 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/150.html

 If you are looking for conferences to attend, this week's edition of the
Perl Weekly will make you very happy indeed. In addition of reports of
conferences that just ended (and will be back next year), we have
announcements for quite a few conferences and workshops happening this
summer and fall: Florida, Switzerland, Grenada, Austria, the buffet is as
varied as it is appetizing. ~ Yanick

Sponsors

  We are Hiring a Senior Perl Software Developer - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/1kWEG7t

  We are a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.
  --------------

=============

GitTip profile of the week
GitTip allows you to give a regular weekly monetary gift to people in order
  to encourage them to do more of the awesome stuff they have been doing.
  The gifts can be as low as 1 cent a week. In this section every week you
  will see a different Perl developer we recommend you support. Oh, and the
  Perl Weekly itself also has a GitTip account
  ("https://www.gittip.com/PerlWeekly/").

  chromatic, author of Modern Perl
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7YAi

  chromatic is the author of Modern Perl
  ('http://modernperlbooks.com/mt/index.html'), a book that for the last
  few years fills the niche of presenting Perl via the lense of its modern
  best practices. The electronic versions of the book (pdf, ePub, mobi) are
  available for free, and the raw source of the book
  ('https://github.com/chromatic/modern_perl_book') itself is available on
  GitHub.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Modern Perl: 2014 Electronic Editions Released
  http://bit.ly/1hOS5Mx

  It's modern, and now available as a ePub and mobi eBooks.
  --------------

  Announcing the Austrian Perl Workshop 2014
  http://bit.ly/1kZ80YS

  Not anything planned for this October? How about visiting the beautiful
  city of Salzburg, and attend the Austrian Perl Workshop?
  --------------

  Swiss Perl Workshop has ROOM
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81ff

  Hunting for conferences that are not in exotic, incredibly warm places? The
  Swiss Perl Workshop now has rented its locale.
  --------------

  II Does Training
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81fk

  Infinity Interactive's list of YAPC::NA courses. Yes, there is still time
  to register for these!
  --------------

  GitPrep 1.8 is released - Public key authentication support
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7Z73

  Yuki Kimoto releases a new version of GitPrep, the Perl-based GitHub-like
  repository service.
  --------------

  Granada Perl Workshop
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81vI

  Hankering for conferences in exotic locations?	The Granada Perl Workshop
  is going to take place on Friday, June the 27th,  Salvador Fandino
  reminds us.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  YAPC::NA - Getting Ready to Travel
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81vN

  Only a handful of weeks until YAPC::NA, and Khaos is slowly preparing
  herself to take the road for the event.
  --------------

  What I learned in college because I had to use mainframes
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81vQ

  As a follow-up to Andy Lester's article of last week, Joe McMahon
  reminesces about the days where computers's weight (in tons) and storage
  capacity (in megs) were roughly equivalent, and how that wildly different
  paradigm shaped his skills.
  --------------

  One year of Perl Maven Pro
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81vW

  Gabor has reasons to celebrate: Maven Pro is now one year old!
  --------------

  Perl in a Developing Country
  http://bit.ly/1kZ81Md

  This entry is the first of a series, where Kasek Galgal plans to explore
  the role and potential of Perl in developing countries.
  --------------

  The Often Overlooked Perl Module Pod::Usage
  http://bit.ly/1kZaPZQ

  by Michael Gerb.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Removing Perl Boilerplate with Import::Into
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7ZnB

  Perl 5.20 gives us a few more shiny tools to play with, but enabling them
  usually requires a line or two more of boilerplate code at the top of
  your files. Mike Friedman wants the former very much, but isn't too keen
  on the latter.
  --------------

  List::Util additions in Perl 5.20
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7ZnG

  List::Util and List::MoreUtils are a cornucopia of useful functions.
  LeoNerd tells us about the latest changes that come to them for, and in
  the wake of, the  5.20.0 release.
  --------------

  Cleaning up your DarkPAN
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7ZnK

  Steven Haryanto shares a few more tools useful for the scrubbing and
  clean-up the old releases of one's CPAN account.
  --------------

  Etsy's skyline port to perl
  http://bit.ly/1kZ822I

  The original skyline uses Python's numpy and scipy. Here we have a port of
  its algorithms in Perl's own PDL.
  --------------

  Logging Apple Battery Data with Perl
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7ZnQ

  Owner of an Apple laptop and want to query and graph your battery usage?
  mikegrb has a script for you.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  playing with Cairo
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7ZE7

  Dmitry Karasik is porting a First-Person engine in Perl using Cairo. Good
  news, the coding was smooth sailing. Bad news, performance is not quite
  the zippiest.
  --------------

=============

Video

  Dancer & DBIx::Class
  http://bit.ly/1kZap5F

  Stefan Hornburg (Racke) talks about Dancer and DBIx::Class. (35 min)
  --------------

  CSV Less complicated
  http://bit.ly/1kZap5G

  In direct from NLPW::2014, Merijin Band (Tux) presents "CSV Less
  complicated". (40 min)
  --------------

  Clashes of slashes or the division of dividers
  http://bit.ly/1kZardO

  Theo van Hoesel talks about math and how he extended Number::Fraction. (20
  min)
  --------------

  How the Camel is de-cocooning
  http://bit.ly/1kZardP

  Elizabeth Mattijsen (liz) comparing Perl 5 and Perl 6 syntax. (40 min)
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1kZ822X

  --------------

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Path::Tiny
  http://bit.ly/1kZ7ZEg

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Parsing NaN in JSON - JavaScript and Perl
  http://bit.ly/1kZardR

  Why Perl could not parse the JSON file created by a Python script?
  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Paris (FR), St. Petersburg (Ru), Orlando (FL/USA),
  Granada (ES), Sofia (BG), Tokyo (JP), Flörli Olten (CH), Salzburg (AT)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html