[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #133 - More Perl events

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Feb 10 00:08:05 PST 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/133.html

Just a reminder, from now on the Perl Weekly newsletter only includes newly
added events and the other events are listed on the web site. This is to
avoid boring you with the same links again and again. Yet there are 4 new
events added at the bottom of this edition. (Partly because they were left
out by mistake earlier, partly because they are newly scheduled). In any
case, you'll find evens all over the world, but especially around Europe.

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("http://bit.ly/19sbfam").
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Perl and Me, Part 9: That's Why I Failed Recess
  http://bit.ly/1cn8wN2

  It is Buddy Burden again, explaining how <b>Perl is the language that Gets
  Shit Done</b>, but probably a lot more importantly, he explained his
  process of finding candidates for employment. I know not many companies
  work that way, but I think it is great. I love it!
  --------------

  Why you should use getcwd and not cwd
  http://bit.ly/1cn8wN5

  I keep using the cwd() function from the Cwd module when I need the current
  working directory, but I think David Golden has a point. I should just
  change the habit and start using getcwd().
  --------------

  Parsing HTML with Perl
  http://bit.ly/1cn8uF2

  An article by A. Sinan Unur using regexes and HTML::TokeParser::Simple.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Making our training material public
  http://bit.ly/1cn8wN8

  Curtis 'Ovid' Poe, who runs the company called 'All Around the World' with
  his wife, has released some of their test-training materials under the
  Creative Commons by-nc license.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Introducing warnings::MaybeFatal
  http://bit.ly/1cn8wNh

  Last week we saw some discussion about the problems FATAL warnings can
  cause. In response to that, Toby Inkster created a module that will leave
  run-time warnings alone and only turn compile-time warning into
  exceptions.
  --------------

  3 ways to include data with your Perl distribution
  http://bit.ly/1cn8x3y

  Use __DATA__, Use FindBin to locate the data file, Makefile.PL / Build.PL
  and use File::Share. See the explanation of David Farrell.
  --------------

=============

Databases

  Debian, MariaDB, Perl and DBD::mysql
  http://bit.ly/1cn8x3z

  Ron Savage describes how he installed DBD::mysql and used it to access
  MariaDB.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Dancer In Chains
  http://bit.ly/1cn8x3G

  Yanick Champoux writes: <b>Something that Catalyst has and Dancer doesn't
  is chained routes.</b> But he cannot leave it that way, can he?
  --------------

  CPAN Stability++
  http://bit.ly/1cn8x3N

  Before every release, John Napiorkowski checks if Catalyst with all of its
  117 dependencies can be installed on a clean Perl. Spoiler: it can be.
  --------------

  PearlBee - Open source blogging platform in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1cn8uVv

  (reddit
  ("http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/1wzk0h/pearlbee_new_blogging_engi
  ne_written_in_perl/"))
  --------------

=============

CPAN

  What's new on CPAN - January 2014
  http://bit.ly/1cn8uVy

  An excellent compilation by David Farrell of some of the newly released
  modules on CPAN.
  --------------

  Lessons learned publishing my first CPAN module
  http://bit.ly/1cn8uVB

  Ali Anari from Crowdt:lt while creating and upload
  WebService::NationBuilder to CPAN.
  --------------

  Set::Jaccard::SimilarityCoefficient v0.5.1
  http://bit.ly/1cn8uVC

  As Mark Leighton Fisher explains: <b>the Jaccard Similarity Coefficient is
  a simple measure of how similar 2 sets are</b>.
  --------------

  Iterating over all CPAN releases
  http://bit.ly/1cn8xkg

  This is mostly for researchers, who, for some strange reason, would like to
  research the content of ancient distributions uploaded to CPAN.
  --------------

  mtools v2.0.0 - Now with pmtools::new_pod_iterator()!
  http://bit.ly/1cn8xAH

  pmtools aka. Perl Module Tools ("http://bit.ly/1cn8xAB") is a collection of
  command line tools that can show you the location of a module, the
  version number, etc.
  --------------

  Perl Module Release: RPC-XML 0.78
  http://bit.ly/1cn8vcb

  After a long break, finally Randy J. Ray has released a new version of his
  module and even blogged about it!. The next day the CPAN Testers sent him
  fail reports ("http://bit.ly/1cn8xAN"), which lead to some interesting
  bug hunting. (I hope he'll post about that too).
  --------------

  Perl Memory::Stats – Get RSS memory reporting on multiple platforms
  http://bit.ly/1cn8vsu

  --------------

=============

Fun

  Adopting URI::Title
  http://bit.ly/1cn8y7G

  It is a really great description of how BooK found an unmaintained module,
  got ownership in a nice way and released a new version of the module.
  --------------

  Renaming Nikon photograph files with Perl
  http://bit.ly/1cn8y7J

  One of the tools that I saw have brought people to use Perl was
  Image::ExifTool. Martin Evans show a simple use-case.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Google Summer of Code 2014
  http://bit.ly/1cn8y7N

  The Perl Foundation wants to participate in the GSOC again. It is looking
  for mentors!
  --------------

  Grants Committee Changes
  http://bit.ly/1cn8vJ6

  Daisuke Maki has replaced Renée Bäcker.
  --------------

=============

Moose

  Looking for Moose in all the Wrong Places
  http://bit.ly/1cn8y7U

  How to use (or avoid) the before and after method modifiers of Moose.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Vim for Perl Development
  http://bit.ly/1cn8yod

  I have been using Vim for many years, but watching this video taught me so
  many new things. Presented by Doug Miles at the Phoenix Perl Mongers
  meeting.
  --------------

  Code Attributes
  http://bit.ly/1cn8vZz

  Finally I understood what the attributes on functions can do. They are like
  decorators in Python, but way more powerful. Presented by Steve Baker at
  the Phoenix Perl Mongers meeting.
  --------------

=============

Other

  Perl vs Python 2013, some actual stats..
  http://bit.ly/1cn8yEL

  Matthew Wilson (diakopter) invested quite some time to compare stats on
  Perl vs other programming languages. Especially Python. Does not look
  good. So what does this mean to you? reddit ("http://bit.ly/1cn8vZN").
  --------------

  The Popularity of Perl in 2013
  http://bit.ly/1cn8yEN

  My collection of some numbers. Most interesting are the Google Analytics
  graphs from blogs.perl.org, MetaCPAN, and search.cpan.org.
  --------------

=============

Training

  Polyglot pattern matching in London
  http://bit.ly/1cn8BAk

  Damian Conway will run a class called <b>Understanding Regular
  Expressions</b> in London on 12th March. See the description and the link
  to registration.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Moose
  http://bit.ly/1cn8BAu

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1cn8zbU

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Stringification in classic Perl OOP
  http://bit.ly/1cn8BR0

  As part of the series describing the class Object Oriented System of Perl,
  this article shows operator overloading.
  --------------

  Class method and alternative constructor in classic Perl OOP
  http://bit.ly/1cn8BR3

  The 3rd part of the classic OOP series.
  --------------

  The ternary operator in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1cn8zsq

  Do you know what is the real name of the ternary operator?
  --------------

=============

Events

  Perl at FOSDEM: a big thank you!
  http://bit.ly/1cn8BR8

  --------------

  QA Hackathon 2014
  http://bit.ly/1j6DaSJ

  March 13-16, 2014, Lyon, France
  --------------

  DBIx::Class Themed Hackathon
  http://bit.ly/1bnl9L8

  April 2014, Swindon, UK
  --------------

  YAPC::EU 2014
  http://bit.ly/1cNoHqW

  22-24 August, 2014, Sofia, Bulgaria
  --------------

  Swiss Perl Workshop 2014
  http://bit.ly/1exVzUV

  5-6 September, 2014, Flörli Olten, Switzerland
  --------------

  Perl-related events
  http://bit.ly/1bkDys0

  In the following cities: Lyon (FR), Hannover (DE), Swindon (UK), Utrecht
  (NL), Poznan (PL), Prague (CZ), Kiev (UA), Orlando (FL/US), Sofia (BG),
  Flörli Olten (CH)
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html