[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #130 - Perl QA hackathon is looking for sponsors!

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Jan 20 00:38:17 PST 2014

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/130.html

Hi,

let me first thank Yanick for putting together the previous two issues
while I was on winter vacation, and sorry to those who are currently being
cooked in the southern hemisphere...

There are also a couple of things that need your further attention in this
post. Namely, Upasana looking looking for an answer regarding Perl newbies,
and Philippe Bruhat (BooK) looking for sponsors for the QA Hackathon.

You can now also see the schedule of the Perl dev-room at FOSDEM in
Brussels. I wish I could attend...

Anyway, enjoy the articles!

Sponsors

  .nz Registry Services is hiring Perl Software Developers - New Zealand
  http://bit.ly/1cZTBrj

  The work is across application, web-based & intranet development & your
  skills in OSS development are reqd. It is crucial you have used Perl,
  Moose, DBI::x, OO Perl, XML and have exp. with SQL, Linux and Revision
  control. You will have used HTML, CSS on a daily basis along with
  Internet protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, DNS, Whois, EPP)
  --------------

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("http://bit.ly/19sbfam").
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Announcing UAV::Pilot::WumpusRover::Server v0.1
  http://bit.ly/1aD0IWW

  For those who like to play with flying saucers. Or, in this case, 4-wheel
  saucers.
  --------------

  Coming full circle, 15 years later
  http://bit.ly/1aD0IX1

  After 15 years, Neil Bowers has just released a new version of
  HTML::Summary.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Dist::Zilla and line numbering
  http://bit.ly/1aD0IX3

  Some improvements to Dist::Zilla to make bug reports of your module be more
  specific.
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Perl and Me, Part 6: Perl Is Engineering and Art
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LlC

  Recently I was reading the Learning Python book and found a page titled
  'Python Is Engineering, Not Art'. In the disguise of trying to explain
  the difference between Perl and Python it just bashes Perl. I sent it to
  bare-feet Buddy Burden, and he included an extensive post about this in
  his series about his journey in the world of Perl.
  --------------

  Ditching A Language
  http://bit.ly/1aD0IXa

  Ovid explains why replacing the programming language and rewriting your
  whole application might not solve all your problems after all, and how
  much can it cost you. Maybe your job?
  --------------

  How to Rewrite Software without Destroying Your Business
  http://bit.ly/1aD0IXb

  It is mostly aimed at managers, but the writing of chromatic can provide a
  good list of talking points when your managers starts to talk about
  rewriting a piece of software.
  --------------

  Is Perl really short of newbies?
  http://bit.ly/1aD0Jdr

  A bothering question that comes up every now and then. This time Upasana,
  who is also a newbie to Perl, and the Perl community (she started to
  learn Perl in December 2011), raises the question. Please, give her a
  hand with your opinion.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  Testing Random Dice Rolls
  http://bit.ly/1aD0Jdv

  Ovid shows how to check if the dice you are rolling (with your computer
  program) are cheating, or if the randomization works correctly.
  --------------

  Support the Perl QA Hackathon 2014 in Lyon
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LlK

  The Perl QA Hackathon is a wonderful annual event for improving Perl, the
  CPAN ecosystem and the whole community. (I attended two of them.)
  Participants and organizers invest a lot of time and energy in it, but
  there are also expenses. The organizers are looking for sponsors to cover
  these expenses.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Tool tip: looking at a module's source
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LlQ

  A little bash script from Neil Bowers that can be replaced by just typing
  perldoc -m Module::Name
  --------------

  Tie::File don't while(<>)
  http://bit.ly/1aD0JdI

  I am not sure if I'd recommend using Tie::File any more, but as I was just
  about to write some examples using tie, I think this suggestion of Jesse
  Shy should be also shown. It certainly is an interesting piece of Perl.
  --------------

  CPAN Release Perl::Critic::Policy::logicLAB::ProhibitShellDispatch 0.03
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LCb

  A good opportunity to remind people to use Perl::Critic. The lint of Perl.
  --------------

  Lexical closures with END blocks warn, but Just Work
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LCd

  So what does the END block do in Perl? Where can you put it? Will it warn
  when creating a closure? What is a closure anyway?
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Dots and Perl
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LCm

  A fun article by Dave Cross explaining the various operators in Perl that
  are created by putting dots together. Before you click. How many can you
  count?
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Maintaining the Perl 5 Core: Report for Month 2 (Nov 2013)
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LSH

  This is the, now irregular, report of Dave Mitchell.
  --------------

  Pinto TPF Grant Progress Report: January 2014
  http://bit.ly/1aD0LSL

  Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer is almost done with the grant. See the new release
  of Pinto.
  --------------

=============

Web

  All about Catalyst – interview of Matt S. Trout (Part 1 of 3)
  http://bit.ly/1aD0MpR

  A surprisingly useful explanation of the MVC (Model View Controller)
  pattern and the RESTfull interface of Catalyst.
  --------------

  Writing Non-Blocking Applications with Mojolicious: Part 3
  http://bit.ly/1aD0OOj

  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1aD0MpU

  --------------

  MetaCPAN weekly report - DBIx::Class
  http://bit.ly/1aD0OOo

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Static and state variables in Perl
  http://bit.ly/1aD0OOu

  Version 5.10 of Perl introduced the state keyword, but even before that you
  could create static variables. Private variables that retain their value
  between function calls.
  --------------

  How much memory do Perl variables use?
  http://bit.ly/1aD0P4N

  Devel::Size provides the functions to check the size of variables. This
  articles shows some of the results.
  --------------

  How to freak-out your co-workers with a for loop?
  http://bit.ly/1aD0P4Q

  Some documented, but strange behavior of arrays in a for loop.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  Perl Oasis West
  http://bit.ly/1i3ikmn

  January 25th, 2014, Tampa, Florida, USA
  --------------

  Perl dev-room at FOSDEM
  http://bit.ly/1ji70kv

  February 1-2, 2014, Brussels, Belgium
  --------------

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

  Polish Perl Workshop 2014
  http://bit.ly/1cOHnCx

  16-18 May, 2014 in Poznan, Poland
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html