[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #127 - Happy New Year

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Dec 30 05:00:35 PST 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/127.html

Hi,

this is the last issue of 2013. We started the year with 4156 readers and
this issue goes out to 5103 subscribers. Thank you for your trust and thank
you for reading the Perl Weekly News!

I wish all of you happy, and prosperous year with lots of Perl!

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("http://bit.ly/19sbfam").
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Relationships with optional foreign key values (DBIx::Class)
  http://bit.ly/1hP7CgJ

  David Schmidt (davewood) explained the problem: "Imagine two related tables
  'human' and 'cat': A cat belongs to a human but when the human dies the
  cat can continue to roam freely." I am not a cat-person, but based on all
  the information I gather on the web, and there is no shortage of
  information about cats, I wonder if the word 'belongs' can even apply
  there. Anyway, the problem with the database still remains.
  --------------

  Perl - understand List, unary operation and array in scalar context
  http://bit.ly/1hP7CgK

  Probably in response to the article of Dave Cross ("http://bit.ly/1hwZi5f")
  from last week (though unfortunately he does not link there), Celogeek
  gives a few examples for list and scalar context.
  --------------

=============

Testing
Two testing heavy weights in one issue! Nice.

  Merry Christmas! Parallel testing with Test::Class::Moose has arrived
  http://bit.ly/1cB75Oq

  If you were looking for a Christmas present, here is one from Ovid. He says
  he can make your test 24 times faster. Or, at least, the one he had was
  made so much faster. Oh, and he is using Parallel::ForkManager. Luckily,
  I just fixed a stupid bug there that I introduced a while ago.
  --------------

  Profile Your Tests (One Test Class Per File)
  http://bit.ly/1hP7DBj

  chromatic agrees with 90% of what Ovid write in a different article
  ("http://bit.ly/1hP7CgN") but does not tell us the 10% he disagrees with.
  But then he goes on explaining why he thinks using Test::Class was
  probably a good choice in their case. If you write tests, and I really
  hope you do, then it is worth reading these articles and thinking about
  the implications.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Graphics::Potrace
  http://bit.ly/1cB764N

  Potrace is a tool to transform bitmaps into vector graphics.
  Graphics::Potrace, written by Flavio Poletti provides the Perl binding to
  it.
  --------------

  Pjam - continues integration for Perl, using Pinto.
  http://bit.ly/1cB764R

  Keyword: DevOps.
  --------------

=============

Fun

  Christmas Eve Obfu
  http://bit.ly/1cB764S

  If it's Christmas, you need a tree. A tree made of Perl. See what Toby
  Inkster had in mind.
  --------------

  UAV::Pilot v0.8 Released - Now Supports Wumpus Rover
  http://bit.ly/1cB7653

  The Wumpus Rover was built on top of an old RC car using a Raspberry Pi and
  an Arduino, and controlled by Timm Murray via his UAV::Pilot module. The
  article comes with a video, that was also featured on the Perl TV
  ("http://bit.ly/1hP7Cxe"). If you are looking to build something by
  yourself, or with your kids, this can be a great project.
  --------------

  Perl and Me, Part 4: A Worthy Program, Exceedingly Well Read
  http://bit.ly/1hP7DBn

  Buddy Burden continues telling his story. This time he explains why code
  readability is so important, and how that does not mean using a limited
  subset of the language.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Perl Jedi, Hello World !
  http://bit.ly/1cB74do

  Jedi is a web application framework with no DSL. Celogeek, who put on his
  Yoda-face when creating Jedi, has started a series of articles. This is
  the first part and he already published a follow-up on the session plugin
  ("http://bit.ly/1hP7DBo"). I certainly like the fact that he did not just
  put it on CPAN and waited for the hordes of people to start using it. In
  these days one has to explain even a Jedi.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Rakudo Star 2013.12 released
  http://bit.ly/1cB76lt

  They promised it by Christmas..
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - DateTime::Moonpig
  http://bit.ly/1hP7CNE

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1hP7CNG

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Testing a simple Perl module
  http://bit.ly/1cB74dt

  After last week explaining what is TAP, this time the article takes an
  existing module and shows how to write and run unit-tests for the module.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  Perl Oasis West
  http://bit.ly/1i3ikmn

  January 25th, 2014, Tampa, Florida, USA
  --------------

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

  Polish Perl Workshop 2014
  http://bit.ly/1cOHnCx

  16-18 May, 2014 in Poznan, Poland
  --------------

  YAPC::Russia 2014
  http://bit.ly/1jxsLQZ

  14 June, 2014 in Kiev, Ukraine
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html