[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #126 - Happy Birthday to Perl - White Camels

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Dec 23 00:23:04 PST 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/126.html

Hi,

it is just about Christmas and while a large chunk of the world does not
celebrate it, I am sure many of the readers of the Perl Weekly have a few
days off around the holiday. I have received vacation auto-responders last
week already saying that they will be back in the office on January 7. Now
that's a vacation!

Anyway, this week we celebrated the 26th birthday of Perl, and the White
Camel award winners were announced.  There is a World wide Perl competition
run by the DFW Perl Mongers. I just found out about the Perl Oasis West,
that is just a month away in Tampa, FL, and I saw that the next Russian
Perl conference announced to be held in Kiev, Ukraine. (No, I don't want to
get involved in the Europe-Ukraine-Russia political debate.)

I was hoping people will slow down and go on vacation, but instead of that,
tons of articles.

Enjoy!

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("http://bit.ly/19sbfam").
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Perl is 26 Today
  http://bit.ly/1gQjukT

  On 18th December Perl celebrated it 26th birthday. In his article,
  chromatic points out the important role Perl played in the development of
  programming languages. It was posted to Hacker news
  ("http://bit.ly/1hwZi56"). You can spend a whole afternoon digging
  through it.
  --------------

  The 2013 White Camels
  http://bit.ly/1hwZjpI

  The White Camel Awards recognize outstanding, non-technical achievement in
  Perl. Every year it is awarded to 3 individuals or teams. This year the
  recipients are Thiago "maluco" Rondon, Fred Moyer, and the Dijkmat team:
  Wendy and Liz. Reading the 'reasoning' behind the awards is always very
  inspirational.
  --------------

  World wide Perl competition
  http://bit.ly/1hwZjpJ

  The Dallas/Fort Worth Perl Mongers ("http://bit.ly/1gQjukX") (DFW.pm), have
  started a hackathon or code-competition. You are invited to check out the
  task and the rules and get started. The dead-line to finish the project
  in January 8th. So you have all the Holiday time, if you are in an area
  where this is Holiday time, to work on the project and WIN!
  --------------

  Perl Oasis West
  http://bit.ly/1i3ikmn

  Perl Workshop in Tampa, Florida, USA. January 25th, 2014,
  --------------

  YAPC::Russia 2014
  http://bit.ly/1jxsLQZ

  14 June, 2014 in Kiev, Ukraine
  --------------

=============

Advent Calendars
The advent calendars are ending today or tomorrow, but the articles remain
  there, for all of you to read during the Holidays, and beyond.

  Perl
  http://bit.ly/19ylFAM

  --------------

  Perl 6
  http://bit.ly/IZ8y5v

  --------------

  Catalyst
  http://bit.ly/19sbhPr

  --------------

  Future
  http://bit.ly/IZ8Adr

  --------------

=============

Articles

  Misunderstanding Context
  http://bit.ly/1hwZi5f

  It is always interesting to see when Dave Cross analyzes how people on the
  outskirts of the Perl community think about specific subjects related to
  Perl. I am not sure though, how would that look like like if people who
  are closer to the center of the onion explained what they know (or think
  to know) about these subject in Perl. I am sure I would be caught
  red-handed many times if I was writing about these.
  --------------

=============

Releases

  Perl DBD::ODBC 1.46_2 released - You REALLY need to test this release
  http://bit.ly/1gQjuBj

  --------------

  Foswiki 1.1.9 released
  http://bit.ly/1hwZjpQ

  --------------

=============

Code

  Moving PPI to GitHub encourages some new activity
  http://bit.ly/1gQjtO3

  Adam Kennedy was one of the most prolific CPAN authors until he changed
  jobs and country. He has over 200 modules in a giant Subversion
  repository that finally will be moved to GitHub. This is great. It will
  allow easier contribution, and hopefully more of his modules will get new
  maintainers.
  --------------

  Universal way to get memory usage of a process
  http://bit.ly/1hwZjGc

  Celogeek shows an example how to get the memory usage of a process using
  Proc::ProcessTable ("http://bit.ly/1gQjwJs").
  --------------

=============

Fun

  How I learned to plot a Mandelbrot set
  http://bit.ly/1hwZjGh

  Fractals are always nice to look at. It is even nicer when it is done by
  Dmitry Karasik using the bridge between PDL (the Perl Data Language) and
  Prima (the Perl GUI toolkit).
  --------------

  What?! CUDA::Minimal... works?
  http://bit.ly/1gQjwJA

  It's great that it is minimal and that it works again, but what is CUDA?
  David Mertens explains: CUDA is a great framework for writing parallel
  applications that run on (capable) nVidia video cards.
  --------------

  Perl and Me, Part 3: A Møøse once bit my sister
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/buddy_burden/2013/12/perl-and-me-part-3-a-moose-once-bit-my-sister.html

  Bare feet Buddy Burden continues to explore his relationship to Perl.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Hacker Interviews: Larry Wall
  http://bit.ly/1hwZlhb

  32 minutes in the home of Larry Wall. An interview conducted by Jonathan
  Schiefer.
  --------------

=============

Other

  Maintaining possibly unused modules
  http://bit.ly/1gQjwJD

  Philippe Bruhat (BooK) explains his participation in the CPAN Once a Week
  contest ("http://bit.ly/1gQjuRP"), which in itself would need more
  attention, and calls upon you to send him personal e-mails indicating
  that you are indeed using his module.
  --------------

  LPW2013 Survey Results
  http://bit.ly/1hwZlhh

  Barbie has just published the survey report. I was really surprised to see
  my name there ("http://yapc-surveys.org/html/lpw2013-survey.html").
  Flattering.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1hwZlhi

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  TAP - Test Anything Protocol
  http://bit.ly/1gQjwJJ

  --------------

  Blogging with Riji
  http://bit.ly/1gQjwZW

  Riji that means diary in Chinese is a simple blog tool using Markdown. This
  is an introduction to using it.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

  YAPC::NA 2014
  http://bit.ly/H6ndeD

  June 23-25, 2014, Orlando FL
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html