[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #124 - On the nth Day of Chrismas, My Newsletter Brought to Me...

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Mon Dec 9 02:03:36 PST 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/124.html

 Here we are, on the last stretch of the year. While the blog front might
be on the quiet side, the different advent calendars are abuzz with
activity. Some elves are also keeping themselves quite busy if the first
reports of the 'patch -p1' hackaton are to be trusted. So go fill your hot
cocoa mug, and prepare to enjoy this small, but oh-so-cozy, edition of the
PerlWeekly.  ~ `/anick

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Please apply online
  ("https://apply.hrmdirect.com/resumedirect/ApplyOnline/Apply.aspx?req_id=
  enc-15.668755005356687&source=106686-CS-6734").
  --------------

=============

Advent Calendars

  Perl
  http://www.perladvent.org/2013/

  --------------

  Perl 6
  http://perl6advent.wordpress.com/

  --------------

  Catalyst
  http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2013

  --------------

  Dancer
  http://advent.perldancer.org/2013

  --------------

  Future
  http://leonerds-code.blogspot.ca/2013/12/futures-advent-day-1.html

  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Introducing Fetchware: package management for source code distributions
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/dly/2013/11/introducing-fetchware-package-management-for-source-code-distributions.html

  Fetchware is a cool little system written by dly providing a way to
  retrieve and install software from their source tarballs.
  --------------

  patch -p1 Achievements Wikipage
  http://patch.pm/p1/wiki?node=Achievements

  The patch -p1 hackaton took place a few days ago in Paris. For the
  impatient, here's the wiki page providing the raw firehose of what was
  achieved there.
  --------------

  Release a new distribution every month in 2014
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/neilb/2013/12/release-a-new-distribution-every-month-in-2014.html

  Looking for some challenging resolution for 2014? Neil Bowers has the right
  quest for you...
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Perl One-Liners: book review
  http://blog.sukria.net/2013/12/05/perl-one-liners-book-review/

  Alexis Sukrieh reviews the new Perl book by Peteris Krumins.
  --------------

  An interview with Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer
  http://perltricks.com/article/51/2013/12/5/-An-interview-with-Jeffrey-Ryan-Thalhammer

  How's Stratopan doing? Which editor is Jeffrey using? Does the mastermind
  of Perl::Critic always use it? Jeffrey Thalhammer reveals all in this
  shocking interview. ... Okay, perhaps not that shocking. Just, y'know,
  darn interesting.
  --------------

  Can One Write Readable and Maintainable Perl?
  http://programming.oreilly.com/2013/12/can-one-write-readable-and-maintainable-perl.html

  Sinan Unur asks, and answers, the tough question. (spoiler alert: the
  article begins with a thundering 'YES')
  --------------

  Programming Perl in popular culture
  http://www.programmingperl.org/2013/12/programming-perl-in-popular-culture/

  Most people are looking for Waldo. brian d foy, however, prefers to be on
  the look-out for appearances of those books with the funny animals on
  the covers...
  --------------

=============

Code

  Data::ObjectDriver and JOIN
  http://www.pal-blog.de/entwicklung/perl/dataobjectdriver-and-join.html

  Sebastian Willing is experimenting with Data::ObjectDriver, and finds that
  the way it deals with foreign table joins is pretty darn good.
  --------------

  Visualizing a CPAN install plan
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/brian_d_foy/2013/12/visualizing-a-cpan-install-plan.html

  Aaah, those devious webs of dependencies we spin... Well, now we can have a
  visual idea of how  tangled they are, thanks to brian d foy'd work at the
  patch -p1 Perl hackaton.
  --------------

  Proper usage of the roles in Perl
  http://blog.celogeek.com/201312/387/proper-usage-of-the-roles-in-perl/

  Celogeek brings our attention to quite a subtle role gotcha, and how to
  evade it.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Distributed Applications With Perl & Gearman
  http://perltv.org/v/distributed-applications-with-perl-gearman

  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  A few quick updates
  http://6guts.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/a-few-quick-updates/

  A few updates on what's going on in the world of Rakudo these days.
  --------------

  How to catch an exception in Perl 6
  http://perl6maven.com/how-to-catch-an-exception-in-perl6

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorial

  How to get notification when specific contact goes online in Skype?
  http://perlmaven.com/how-to-get-notification-when-specific-contacts-go-online-using-skype

  --------------

  How to prepare for a Perl job interview?
  http://perlmaven.com/how-to-prepare-for-a-perl-job-interview

  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN Weekly Report - DBIx::Class & Mojolicious & Safe::Isa
  http://niceperl.blogspot.ca/2013/12/lxxxv-metacpan-weekly-report-dbixclass.html

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://niceperl.blogspot.ca/2013/12/cx-stackoverflow-perl-report.html

  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013w49
  http://glitchmr.github.io/perl-6-changes-2013W49.html

  --------------

=============

Events

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

  YAPC::NA 2014
  http://bit.ly/H6ndeD

  June 23-25, 2014, Orlando FL
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html