[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #121 - Advent is getting closer

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Nov 17 23:45:44 PST 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/121.html

Hi there,

Christmas is getting close and before that there is the tradition of
creating Advent calendars. In the Perl world it means a series of articles,
one article every day in the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas. It is a
community project so you can also contribute an article or two. See the
advent section for more details.

Enjoy!

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Email resume:
  106686-CS-6734 at grantstreet.hrmdirect.com
  --------------

  Back-End Blacksmith
  http://bit.ly/15Wof5W

  Do you take pride in your craft and want to have fun() at the same time?
  Are you a geek? Join the team of iwantmyname from <b>anywhere</b>.
  --------------

=============

Announcements

  Padre 1.00 has been released
  http://bit.ly/I0IFTh

  Without a lot of fanfare Padre, the Perl IDE has reached it 1.00 release.
  Available on a CPAN near you.
  developers.
  --------------

  The Stratopan Beta Is Here
  http://bit.ly/19ylDZA

  Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer has opened the gates of Stratopan. (You might
  recall, it is the cloud-hosted version Pinto, that gives you control over
  all your Perl-dependencies so they will be upgraded only when you want
  them to. There is also a promise to get unlimited access to Stratopan for
  life if you sign up soon. I already have an account.
  --------------

=============

Advent

  Perl Catalyst Request for Advent Season Articles!
  http://bit.ly/19ylFAJ

  John Napiorkowski calls upon the Catalyst users to submit articles for the
  Catalyst Advent Calendar ("http://bit.ly/I0IFTk").
  --------------

  Perl Advent Calendar
  http://bit.ly/I0IF5O

  Ricardo Signes is working on the Perl Advent Calendar 2013
  ("http://bit.ly/19ylFAM"). See the submission FAQ
  ("http://perladvent.org/FAQ-submit.html")  if you are interested in
  writing an article.
  --------------

  Dancer advent calendar 2013
  http://bit.ly/I0IF5R

  David Precious put out a call for help with the Perl Dancer Advent calendar
  ("http://bit.ly/19ylEfY").
  --------------

=============

Windows and portability

  Windows Shell to Perl Program
  http://bit.ly/I0IFTm

  JT Smith writes about the MadMongers meeting where they took a bat file (a
  Windows shell script) and converted it to a Perl script. It became much
  longer, so besides having fun, I am not sure what is the advantage here.
  Unless they plan to wrap some of the functionality in modules so they
  become reusable and then the actual script becomes short again.
  --------------

  Don't Get Bent Out of Shape About Being Cross Platform
  http://bit.ly/19ylEg0

  Timm Murray, who came out from the Wumpus Cave just to attend the
  MadMongers meeting, has his own opinion on how much one should invest in
  turning a script to be platform independent. Especially when there is no
  immediate need to run the script on other platforms.
  --------------

=============

Testing

  CPAN Testers Summary - Nov 2013 - Pandemonium
  http://bit.ly/I0IFm6

  Highlight: the server upgrade is now complete! Test reports are flowing
  again! - Thanks Barbie!
  --------------

  Porting Test::Class to the p5-mop
  http://bit.ly/19ylFRi

  Ovid has reimplemented Test::Class::Moose as Test::Class::MOP
  --------------

=============

Code

  A Stratopan quick start user guide
  http://bit.ly/I0IFm7

  Now that Stratopan is out in public beta, David Farrell has quickly created
  a start-up guide with screenshots and explanation.
  --------------

  Context and the Comma Operator
  http://bit.ly/I0IFmc

  Apparently I missed the Tiny Code Quiz ("http://bit.ly/19ylEgb") Ovid
  posted last week, but now chromatic took upon the task to try to explain
  the seemingly (?) unexpected behavior of perl.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Larry Wall: 5 Programming Languages Everyone Should Know
  http://bit.ly/I0IFmf

  6:13 minutes - part of the BigThink interview.
  --------------

  Introduction to the Perl Data Language (PDL)
  http://bit.ly/19ylG7H

  51:22 min talk by David Mertens giving some 'simple' (as in simple
  astrophysics :) example, and then a bunch of resources to make it easier
  to get started. The approach is interesting as he keeps telling why is it
  better to use PDL than C, but only once does he mention the advantages of
  PDL over pure Perl.
  --------------

=============

Web

  The way to write Ruby + Middleman application with Perl.
  http://bit.ly/19ylG7I

  Middleman is ruby web framework that makes developing stand-alone websites
  simple.  Yuki Kimoto shows an example using Mojolicious. One of the
  commenters points to a similar solution in Dancer, and yet another
  commenter points to Poet which is a modern web framework for Mason
  developers.
  --------------

  How to have several Catalyst apps behind one Apache server
  http://bit.ly/19ylEws

  Tara L Andrews uses Plack::Middleware::ReverseProxyPath and a shell script
  to solve this.
  --------------

=============

Other

  Marpa's Advantages
  http://bit.ly/19ylGo6

  Ron Savage has published the 2nd chapter of his Marpa Papers
  ("http://bit.ly/I0IFmg").
  --------------

  moving my homedir into the 21st century
  http://bit.ly/I0IG9U

  Ricardo Signes tells us about the pair programming session he had with Ingy
  döt Net and Frew Schmidt, and how it lead him to switch from 'screen' to
  'tmux'. He also talks about the dotfile manager he has started to use.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  (lxxxii) MetaCPAN weekly report - Kelp
  http://bit.ly/I0IFmn

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/I0IFCB

  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013W46
  http://bit.ly/19ylEN0

  --------------

=============

Perl Maven Tutorials

  Multi dimensional hashes in Perl
  http://bit.ly/19ylGoe

  Perl only has one-dimensional hashes, but each value in a hash can be a
  reference to another hash. Or to an array. This, together with
  auto-vivification allows the creation of very flexible data structures.
  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  Nordic Perl Workshop 2013
  http://bit.ly/16WT32H

  November 23, 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark
  --------------

  London Perl Workshop (LPW 2013)
  http://bit.ly/17gJVYW

  Saturday 30th November 2013 at Westminster University
  --------------

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

  YAPC::NA 2014
  http://bit.ly/H6ndeD

  June 23–25, 2014, Orlando FL
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html