[Kochi-pm] [Perlweekly] #119 - No Unicode in the subject line

Gabor Szabo gabor at szabgab.com
Sun Nov 3 23:01:18 PST 2013

Perl Weekly

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/119.html

Hi,

Last week I had this little experience with various interesting Unicode
characters in the Perl Weekly. On the web site it worked out well, but in
the e-mail there were a few glitches. Most likely due to Mailman that I
still use to handle the newsletter. (And it is a rather old version of
Mailman, so I can't really blame it.) The subject line was missing the
[Perlweekly] tag that Mailman should have included (and I hope it does this
time again) and several people mentioned that they have not seen the heart
in the subject line. I think the body of the message went through just
fine.

Sponsors

  We're Hiring Perl Software Developers - Grant Street Group
  http://bit.ly/14ZjcSG

  We're a growing software company using open source software/modern Perl
  practices to build innovative e-payment, auction, and tax collection web
  applications.<br>We're looking for talented, motivated professionals
  committed to flawless work and customer service.<br>Email resume:
  106686-CS-6734 at grantstreet.hrmdirect.com
  --------------

  Back-End Blacksmith
  http://bit.ly/15Wof5W

  Do you take pride in your craft and want to have fun() at the same time?
  Are you a geek? Join the team of iwantmyname from <b>anywhere</b>.
  --------------

=============

Articles

  Would You Miss Autoderef in 5.20?
  http://bit.ly/1cFh3fS

  Autoderef was added to perl in version 5.14 and now it seems to be on the
  way out. chromatic asked your opinion if you will miss it. I think very
  few people have really used it. Have you?
  --------------

=============

Discussion

  Modular, Decoupled, Best Practiced, Well Designed, Bullshit
  http://bit.ly/1cFh3fZ

  JT Smith suggests that making something work today is more important than
  'doing it right'. Not everyone agrees with him.
  --------------

  Things we don't have #1
  http://bit.ly/16zcAud

  While CPAN has lots of modules solving many problems (multiple times),
  there are many problems that are not, or not well solved. Steven Haryanto
  started to put together a list of tools (libraries) available in other
  languages but not in Perl. In case you are looking for an problem to work
  on.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Acme-oop-ism Part Three: techniques
  http://bit.ly/16zcAue

  Toby Inkster continues his quest to unify the way we can use Moose, Moo and
  Mouse. One of his suggestion is to write for Moo. Code written using Moo
  works well with Moose as well, and the syntactic sugar alll three provide
  is quite similar. So if you use that, your code will likely work with all
  3.
  --------------

  Planet Moose - October 2013
  http://bit.ly/16zcD9o

  This is the regular write-up of Toby Inkster on the world of Moose and
  friends. This episode includes an interview with Upasana Shukla who
  implemented the Moose exception objects as part of her OPW internship.
  --------------

  Test repository for Git wrappers
  http://bit.ly/1cFh1od

  Do you have a Gti wrapper? Does it work? Philippe Bruhat (BooK) has created
  a GtiHub repository with lots of weird commits to test against.
  --------------

=============

Grants

  Grant Extension Request - Maintaining Perl 5
  http://bit.ly/1cFh3ws

  Tony Cook has requested an extension of $13,000 for his Maintaining Perl 5
  grant.
  --------------

  YACT - Yet Another Conference Tool - Grant Report #1
  http://bit.ly/16zcAuf

  Torsten Raudssus reports about the one week he worked on the grant since he
  started it in July.
  --------------

=============

Databases

  DBD-ODBC 1.45 released to the CPAN + important warning
  http://bit.ly/1cFh1on

  Apparently there is a serious unicode bug in DBD::ODBC which affects
  inserts into char/varchar columns.
  --------------

=============

Videos

  Perl Meets Modern Web UI
  http://bit.ly/16zcD9z

  This is the presentation of Bill Humphries at YAPC::NA about web frameworks
  for the client such as Backbone, Knockout, and Angular and how they work
  together with a Perl-based back-end.
  --------------

  Introduction to DBIx::Class
  http://bit.ly/16zcAun

  Doran Barton gave this introductory talk at the monthly meeting of the Salt
  Lake Perl Mongers.
  --------------

=============

Web

  Perl Catalyst 'Hamburg' Development Release 5 on CPAN, Final Call For Comments!
  http://bit.ly/1cFh3MY

  This is expected to turn into the stable Catalyst 5.90050 release. Go test
  it.
  --------------

  About LWP::UserAgent, https and proxy setup
  http://bit.ly/16zcAKM

  Apparently LWP::UserAgent (and thus most Perl web clients that rely on it)
  cannot handle https requests via proxy. This bug was reported 10 years
  ago. Patches were submitted but the problem has not been fixed. Now
  Dominique Dumont explains the background of https and show how he
  proposed to fix the problem.
  --------------

  Writing Non-Blocking Applications with Mojolicious: Part 2
  http://bit.ly/1cFh43j

  Joel Berger continued his article from last week.
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  Rakudo Star 2013.10 released
  http://bit.ly/1cFh4Ak

  --------------

=============

Past events

  Austrian Perl Workshop 2013
  http://bit.ly/16zcAKR

  Thomas Klausner (domm) reports from Salzburg and shows us a T-shirt that
  can run.
  --------------

=============

Weekly collections

  MetaCPAN weekly report - Mojolicious
  http://bit.ly/16zcAKS

  --------------

  StackOverflow Perl report
  http://bit.ly/1cFh4Ax

  --------------

  Perl 6 changes - 2013W44
  http://bit.ly/1cFh6Z6

  --------------

=============

Events
I usually list the next 3-4 events here. The list of all the events can be
  found on the web site (http://perlweekly.com/events.html). If your Perl
  event is not listed there, please let me know.

  YAPC::Brazil 2013
  http://bit.ly/155GQIh

  November 15-16, 2013, Curitiba, PR, Brazil
  --------------

  Nordic Perl Workshop 2013
  http://bit.ly/16WT32H

  November 23, 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark
  --------------

  London Perl Workshop (LPW 2013)
  http://bit.ly/17gJVYW

  Saturday 30th November 2013 at Westminster University
  --------------

  German Perl Workshop (GPW 2014)
  http://bit.ly/10WS00y

  March 26-28, 2014, Hannover, Germany
  --------------

=============

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(C) Copyright Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/
The articles are copyright the respective authors.

You can freely redistribute this message if
you keep the whole message intact, including
the Copyright notice and this text.

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html